No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Market 2 - what is this?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Murano Market 2 - what is this?
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:44:28 AM »
Hi all - I was watching this item out of interest rather than buying it. I figured about $A90 and it went for $A338 approx $US310. Is this something significant or is it just the market heating up?

ebay # 370327421500

Also I hate to report this but I have been outbid on the last 3 A.Seguso bits one of them by $US100 and I used to win them all 6 months ago. I am in a state of deep depression - DON'T SPEAK TO ME!!!! :o
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Murano Market 2 - what is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
I am definitely going to have to start watching ebay.com.au a little more instead of the other ebay sites! I miss some good pieces that go off on the Aussie ebay... :cry:

I have seen some similar pieces, oddly on www.trademe.co.nz that were similar in style by Poli when he started his own company Societa Veneziana di   Conterie e Cristellerie with labels (the sculptural effect without the base). However they were all mostly the one colour! The rainbow effect colouring along with the base (which remind me of a base that should be on a fish sculpture) throws me a little!

-Sorry about the A.S losses ardy, I have lost a few SVdA and Whitefriars pieces as well!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:46:42 AM »
That amazes me. My first guess for the piece would be Chribska, although the base is a little more Murano than Chribska, and the second Chalet. If you like this kind of glass, have a look at Canadian eBay under Chalet. I'd have predicted $70 tops.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
I'm not at all surprised. It's eBay.au - a whole different market. Anything freeform is highly valued here; you should see what they charge in antiques stores. (Australia is still riding the resources boom, which probably doesn't help.)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
Australia in its self is an expensive place. I think the price paid for this is probably the true value in the au market. It is quite a huge piece. I have lost some better pieces here for slightly less when I tend to look at the OZ ebay section (which is infrequent - about every 1-2months).

Although i think the owner of this will be one happy person when it arrives!  :mrgreen:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:20 AM »
Well i have been selling a lot of my Italian collection on ebay uk , most of it has been going abroad AUS USA NZ NED FRANCE ITALY and most pieces are going for very little money in fact often the postage is as much as the item but i need the space and i have an exspensive Wedding to pay for , a lot of my Italian glass is by the top three or four companys , my Scandinavian glass is selling better i still have one whole room full of Italian and Scandi to go . jp   stgeorgio.2007      :cry: ;)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
Just noticed this thread.  I bumped into one of the porters from my local Auction house yesterday. Now this is a rough looking auction house 100 miles from London.  Last sale he told me had a load of lovely Italian glass items.  He said a whole bunch of "elegant Italians" came for the the sale, and all pieces went for very high prices. :thup:

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »
I think there is a an "upturn as Mr Brown would call it" with Ebay prices.

The comment about international buyers couldn't be more true.

I have just sold a rather plain generic Murano bird and was amazed that 2 Aussi buyers had a little bid compitition.   :hiclp: :hiclp:

martin

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
Just bid on 2 Archimede Seguso devilbiss perfume bottles and last year they would have been $US85 each tops I was outbid at over $US100 each and the winning bidder only made the one automatic bid for $US119.xx so who knows what their top would have been. These made the top 50 sales for the week on ebay Italian glass.

I think my days of 'Skiting' (an Aussism meaning loud boasting) about my great wins are truly over.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »
Still seems up and down!  ::) Lost out on a great Scavo piece. Thought I would win! Devastated by the loss. Gave up on bidding on another piece, I thought 'no point being late for work'. Was a good SVdA piece. Log in at work to see what it went for! A *insert a bad word here* bargain!
 :spls: :huh: :o >:( :cry:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand