No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern? Swirl Vase, signed ID help...  (Read 2141 times)

Offline janton77

• Members
Modern? Swirl Vase, signed ID help...
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
Hi all

Hopefully I'm not going to become a pain in the bum and I'll be able to help out with etched Orrefors/Kosta vases in the future?
I picked up this vase at our local boot sale, more to do with thinking it will look good in my cabinet...
It's signed on the bottom with what looks like the figure 97, hence the modern tag above but I really do have no idea who made it.

Kind regards

Jay

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Modern? Swirl Vase, signed ID help...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:01:33 AM »
It looks like a piece of studio glass. It's an easy shape to make and easy colouring technique to use, unless, of course, I have to do it. I don't mean that studio glass is easy to do, just that it looks like the maker of this was at the beginning of his or her career. Try Googling variations of the name that's there. I fiddled about with the image after importing the photo and couldn't make out anything.

Recently, I've come across pieces of glass that have "signatures" on them but are clearly from the the Far East. Apparently they're sold in slightly more upscale furnishing places as Studio Glass. I'd guess from the boot sale reference you're in the UK, so I don't know if the same thing happens there.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
Hi there
im struggling a little with the signiature and can only really make out the first bit, but it looks like the begining of the Mtarfa signiature
michelle

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:51 PM »
I thought that as well Michelle. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline janton77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
Many thanks again and it's something that caught my eye, it does look modern and your reference of Mtarfa seems to fit well with the look of the piece.
I will do some research and if i come up with something I will let you know, I have also been informed to send in more details, height and better base/sign photos.

Kind regards

Jay

Offline janton77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:35 PM »
Hi there
im struggling a little with the signiature and can only really make out the first bit, but it looks like the begining of the Mtarfa signiature
michelle
I have added better pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mannersglass/UnidentifiedGlass which shows the signature a little better...

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:54:09 AM »
We've some known Mtarfa sigs in GlassGallery here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=546 might be worth taking a look and comparing them to yours. I'm pretty sure yours is Mtarfa. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand