No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Champagne coupe. Age and maker?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
Re: Old Champagne coupe. Age and maker?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:01 PM »
Well these are flat saucery coupey boatie thingies

Annie xxxx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
And it would seem that you have a coupey saucery boaty (but not at all Babychammy) thingie that was sold on a much much bigger boaty thing from the link  :24:

Very nice!!!

Annie xxx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_stemware Scroll down to 2 Specially designed for Champagne in England in the 17th century so much more traditional than the flute

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
yes but  -  think I will forego the tradition in favour of retaining the fizz ;D   thanks for the Wikipedia link  -  so what have I got to do now  -  discard all my real books and use a virtual world instead ;)     But seriously thanks for the help, although because I don't get out enough I was ignorant of the apparent fact that Champagne was available (in England) as early as 1663.   
A serious vote of thanks to Bernard for his wonderful contribution in 2006 (via the link) referring the =S= mark to John Stonier  -  which I was completely unaware of.    Without examples of both sorts of the mark in from of me, can't say exactly which one is showing on my glass  -  which believe I am now correct in saying is not for bubbly, but rather for Sherry  -  but think in fact mine maybe the thicker heavier S, so this is the 1920's - 1930's I suppose.     Wud agree with Bernard's feeling about the romantic aspect  - perhaps, once, my glass graced the table of the Normandie or Carpathia.     All I need now are the other five :)     thanks again to everone.     Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand