No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request please for id on base marks 'of lw 108'  (Read 1902 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: request please for id on base marks 'of lw 108'
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:16:07 AM »
Yes nice but you wouldnt pay that in a Kensington High St Antique shop , unless it had a naked lady or a pearl diver engraved on it . jp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »
Nice but boring. Not worth £500

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
my thoughts precisely  -  but if anyone wants to try a punt at say three or three fifty, I wud be happy to act for you  -  just a small brokerage of course ;D     Actually, I'm hoping no one buys the piece, and they get fed up with looking at it, and drop the price considerably.    It's 450 at the moment.      Paul S.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »
A nice quality vase, but seriously they'd have to drop the price by at least £400 before I was interested ;)

I wonder where they got their valuation from? Unfortunately now I find that a lot of charity shops are poorly run, not by the staff themselves but rather by the head/ regional offices who impose too many restrictions and rules on pricing for shop managers. I have no experience of Oxfam, but having worked as a paid manager for another well known charity shop, I was constantly frustrated by interference from above, from people who didn't know the market and who were lacking in basic business sense. There seems to be a feeling in many shops now that higher pricing=higher income, with no thought whatsoever to turnover. If things don't sell, they get carted off to another store, risking damage and wasting resources, when realistic pricing in the first place would have ensured quicker sales and ultimately a higher rate of turnover.

Steven

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »
Hi Paul i sent you a pm any problem get back to me Regards jp :thup:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
A nice quality vase, but seriously they'd have to drop the price by at least £400 before I was interested ;)

I wonder where they got their valuation from? Unfortunately now I find that a lot of charity shops are poorly run, not by the staff themselves but rather by the head/ regional offices who impose too many restrictions and rules on pricing for shop managers. I have no experience of Oxfam, but having worked as a paid manager for another well known charity shop, I was constantly frustrated by interference from above, from people who didn't know the market and who were lacking in basic business sense. There seems to be a feeling in many shops now that higher pricing=higher income, with no thought whatsoever to turnover. If things don't sell, they get carted off to another store, risking damage and wasting resources, when realistic pricing in the first place would have ensured quicker sales and ultimately a higher rate of turnover.

Steven

I couldn't have put that better myself, they think just because high pricing works for one charity shop it'll work for all of the Charity shops.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
thanks jp - sorry, I have been busy most of this weekend, so apologies for late response.     Will now reply to your PM.     cheers          Paul S.

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
I doubt this piece would cost more than £50 in Sweden, even if it's a signed Lindstrand.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »
Item 380208198161 a blue one on ebay now , under £50 no bids three days to go  , so we will have an idea. :24:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »
sorry to have to say that said item was stolen from the window display cabinet from the Oxfam shop on Saturday.    think the shop had realized their price of Sterling 450 was way over the top but had left the card still showing this figure, and this was presumably what encourgaed the theft.  I don't have any experience whatsoever of ebay, but if anyone sees a green base vase with this pedigree, then possible it may well be the item in question.   The shop people tell me they wud in fact be able to recognize the piece if they saw it again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand