No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = possible fake signature  (Read 2907 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = possible fake signature
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 12:53:24 AM »
I've been watching the listings for a couple of years. There seems to be an escalation in the number of signatures lately. If the sigs on the two cranes are forged, the birds have been pretty much ruined. The entire lower field of the bird is scarred by the etching. To me a forged sig is the same as a crack when it comes to damage.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 04:26:36 AM »
Eek. I wouldn't liken that to a Seguso Sommerso piece. Nice piece of glass, till it was destroyed.

Sorry if I am out of bounds on that comment mods.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »
To me a forged sig is the same as a crack when it comes to damage.

Absolutely Anita but the problem is trying to sort out what is a genuine signature and stupid scratchings from someone with a desire to 'pull' a sale. As we have all agreed there was limited bits that were signed by the artist and more likely by the apprentice.

I wonder if the manufacturers go to acid etched it would help in the future?
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
Steuben used a Fleur de Lis acid stamp as one of their marking methods, and the forgeries of the stamp are rampant. They also used an acid stamp block letters, and you had best know the glass, or really know how to tell the bad stamp forgeries... 

Acid stamps actually make it easier to mass produced forged pieces once you cut a stamp, and today that is pretty easy....  Make the mark in a program and provide a pdf to your favorite stamp maker like Office Max or Office Depot.... 

Actually, I bet the Dremmel owners wish that more acid stamps were used.... then they would not have to work on their Dremmel penmanship so hard...       :o

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »
Hi Craig the Fleur de lis? was used by Stevens&Williams as Fredrick Carder came from there to Steuben maybe some of the pieces are S&W . by the way i believe Khancats glasses are Steuben Fredrick Carder . another thread .

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »
Usually the bad Fleur de lis is seen on glass that would not be either company, but usually represneted as Steuben.... at least on this side of the pond....

What glasses in what other thread?

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand