No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Break it to me gently, is it Avon? ID = Anchor Hocking "Stars and Bars"  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Fen

• Members
I had hopes of Fenton for this white milk glass bud vase (or possibly candlestick). Not Portieux but never mind. Now I have this sinking feeling it might be Avon! What are your thoughts?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Break it to me gently, is it Avon?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
Highly likely. It turns up in yucky, mottledy aquaey, milk glass blue as well.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »
Not Fenton.

This is a VERY common piece here in the states. I see them at yard sales for a dollar.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
 ;D

It looks like an Avon bottom to me. However, do you think it might be opaline glass, rather than milk glass?
That might just make it worth a dollar and an extra couple of cents!

Avon have made opaline glass perfume bottles, (I think I have a scottie dog in the attic).
Sadly, the glass is so thick, the gorgeous effect of opaline glass is sort of lost.
(I reckon a dollar is roughly 75 pence just now? Do you actually get that much for these?)
But you could stick a candle in it (if you like candles) and not worry too much about it getting damaged if you forget about it and let it burn right down - with the added advantage of not really having to look at it too closely in candle-light.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Fen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »
Know what, if I lived in the States I'd happily buy ten for a dollar each, stick a black candle in them and have a party. They'd look great.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
 ;D
Just enjoy it, then! :thup: You're right, a black candle would look good in it.
(Avon things don't shift too well in the charity shops around here, I don't think they have a lot of monetary value.)

Sorry if you thought I was being derogatory.  :-[
I did buy some for interest, a good while ago - not in milk or opaline glass, it has to be said. While peering at the base to take some photographs, I managed to cover myself and my clothes with a goodish quantity of the rather stale remnants of the "perfume" one had contained.  :-X
It was the most appaling trouble to get rid of the stink - loads of sodium bicarbonate did do the trick eventually, but I think the rather smelly experience put me off anything Avon. My skin does strange things to perfume - I tried Calvin thing's "Eternity" once - a tester in the duty free section. On most folk, it smells like honeysuckle. On me it stank of Parma violets.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Fen

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »
Not in the least derogarory, just genuinely funny and I enjoyed it. Parma Violets - that takes me back, little lozenge shaped sweeties, I can still taste them.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »
Avon had its day, fetched good money once because of all the price guides. The the Internet came along and suddenly it dawned that 'hey' there are thousands of these things. Yet, so what, it might not be in the class of Lalique for artistic merit but it was probably made in similar quantities and it is a cultural phenomenon.

It will make a comeback as a collectable, half the stuff that shows up on this board these days was garbage 30 years ago... (At which time respectable glass dealers i.e. It was made before 1900, used Monart as ashtrays) ...and with all the bits damaged through contempt now who knows what future prices Avon will fetch. Mind you, if your one had a ubiquitous plastic stopper it is not complete.

Offline Fen

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:05:34 AM »
I thought for a minute there that I should be on a mission to find that plastic stopper and put the complete item in the back of the cupboard until fashions change once again. Sadly, there is nothing to screw onto. Neither could it have had a cork stopper as the slope to reach the aperture would mean that the cork had to be over two inches long and the circumference of a pencil! A candlestick, a bud vase? Hee Hee...not one of my best buys.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 07:36:43 AM »
Now you'll see them everywhere, because they are  :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia