No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gilman Collamore cased glass vase. Can you help to id the maker?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Laviolette

• Members
Hi! Thanks for the help you guys gave me in an earlier post. Here's a picture of the vase. I know Gilman Collamore was at their 5th Ave. store from 1890 to 1920. Is there any way to id the maker of the vase? It's not valuable or anything, just that I would like to know who made it if that's possible. Thanks for your help! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Laviolette

• Members
Re: Gilman Collamore cased glass vase. Can you help to id the maker?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Aww, no one recognizes it? Well, I'm still happy with it and I'll just call it my "Collamore" vase. Thanks! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »
You have to give us a chance. Many people only come on once a week or so. Then they have to check their books. And if there is a difficulty, it will take even longer. But eventually.

Carolyn

Offline Laviolette

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:37:12 AM »
You have to give us a chance. Many people only come on once a week or so. Then they have to check their books. And if there is a difficulty, it will take even longer. But eventually.

Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn. I hope my post wasn't implying impatience...just thought since it was back on page four that I was out of luck on this ID. I do appreciate the efforts of someone willing to ID something for free for a stranger.
I've been looking on the internet at glass sites, glass auctions, etc. and I've come up empty. I went to B&N and they only had a couple books--modern art glass and Tiffany. Even the HalfPriceBooks didn't have glass books. And going through the online bookstores inventory about glass collecting/IDing I just don't want to spend the money on a book based on its cover as it will probably not help me ID the Collamore vase.
I looked at the bottom of the vase with a bright light to see through the label and I didn't see any kind of marking. I don't want to remove the label since that's all I have to show it was sold through Collamore's.
I did get another vase at a yard sale for $10 (what I paid for the Collamore vase, also). The person told me it was by Flo Exter, 1990. But, after looking around I found it was made by Craig Zweifel. That was fun to figure out!
Maybe glass is too complicated for me--the pieces start to look similar after a while and without makers marks on so much of it I can't begin to comprehend how some people can recognize things just by looking at them. That's a talent I wish I possessed.
I'll post a photo of my two glass vases, as that's probably as far as it'll go, at least for now. Thanks to the owner of this neat site and all the information that's provided here. And thanks to those who help people like me! :)

Offline Laviolette

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »
Nuthin' yet?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »
I think perhaps the orange is enamel, particularly as the base is white and doesn't appear to be ground flat. I would probably look to the US for this.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:36:21 AM »
You said "Maybe glass is too complicated for me--the pieces start to look similar after a while and without makers marks on so much of it I can't begin to comprehend how some people can recognize things just by looking at them"

Dont give up yet, its an addictive subject, takes a few years experience and a few books just to start, and the
learning process never ends. You have a good eye for glass, keep looking!
Andy
 ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand