No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars floral inkwell  (Read 4335 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Whitefriars floral inkwell
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »
THE pm for Patrick is under another thread( WHO would have thought this was Whitefriars) .Sorry been celebrating again, a little bit sipped . :thup: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
just a little more circumstantial evidence for 1950s - in the same auction were two whitefriar weights, one a Triplex and one with initials in the centre.  Both of these date from early 50s - 1951 Festival of Britain is ofter quoted.  These were within 4 lots of the two bottles and I think there were a couple of other whitefriar glass lots, so there is a chance that all these came from the same seller 

That figures mjr. I did notice the other lots but only on the morning of the sale so didn't have time go through them all properly. The inkwells were within two lots of each other. I put in a hopeful bid of 220 for each, after hurriedly finding some similar (but inferior looking) examples of inkwells going for considerably higher. Will probably keep these a good while yet anyway - they're great to hold and look at! I didn't realise they'd turn out to be so hard to fully identify though. But then I do love a good riddle! ;)

I've emailed Patrick and he's replied he's not entirely sure about them so far, and has kindly offered to show them to Ray Annenberg in a couple of weeks time. Will post back here any further news of course.

Paul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »
THE pm for Patrick is under another thread( WHO would have thought this was Whitefriars) .Sorry been celebrating again, a little bit sipped . :thup: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for clearing that one up jp... I did wonder what you meant but thought I was being thick (not unheard of!). Anyway, as you can see, I managed to contact Patrick after all.

Have one for me! Erm... but then again....

Paul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand