No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Beranek piece?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline TheGlassDept

• Members
Is this a Beranek piece?
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
Hello once more,
I have seen similar pieces to this here, could it be a Beranek?
It's 31 cm tall.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Is this a Beranek piece?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »
hi there
 i would say yes it is, probably Jan Beranek for Skrdlovice 1960's maybe
Im sure there is one on the board not so long ago very very similar in shape and colour
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TheGlassDept

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
Thanks very much, Michelle!

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »
found it
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31864.msg172415.html#msg172415
Robert (BOBA) says in the link "but it is now considered unlikely that they are Skrdlovice or Jan Beranek"
a couple of other places you can see similar pieces in the links below, som great info in the second link from the guys here

http://picasaweb.google.de/exat53/Skrdlovice#
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19903.15.html

glad to help
michelle

Offline TheGlassDept

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »
Thanks, that is a lot of input. So, Czech, maybe Novy Bor, but unlikely to be Skrdlovice and Beranek. Ok, excellent!
Best,
Alex

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »
there now seems to be a debate on wether or not it is infact Skrdlovice/Beranek, on the link that i sent Jindrich has left a message (yay jindrich is back  ;D) both BOBA nad Jindrich are extremely knowledgeable on Czech glass, so we may have to wait it out a bit untill evidence is found one way or another

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
Hi Michelle,
I would tend to say it that also this piece came from Skrdlovice. The problem is, that no all pieces made there were correctly documented.

I have heard from glassmakers that during coffee break (in glass plant rather beer break) glassmaster alone was able to make several easy shaped vases just to have some pieces to exchange with doctor for better medical service or just for reason to have a gift from VIPs of that bothery communistic time :-)

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »
Just to add my view. Most people would agree these very nice vases, I have a couple myself. Considering I must have seen 20 or so sold in the last couple of years they have never been labelled with factory labels. Jindra is extremely helpful concerning Czech glass matters and a while ago confirmed that they are without a doubt of Czech origin and of generally good quality. We have had one appear with a label, but that was if I recall correctly a Jones and Co import label, not a manufacturing label. Oddly, considering how many I have seen, none have had a Bohemian Glass label either. My conclusion so far is to say not Skrdlovice just because of all the shapes and sizes I have seen this vase in, I have never seen a factory label and that just makes me cautious about the attribution. And considering how many thousands of these nicely made Czech vases there must be, none of us seem to have spotted the vases in Czechoslovak glass Review. The colourways also do not seem to me perfect for Skrdlovice, in that I have quite a few pieces of Skrdlovice, none in the colours that the 25 or so vases, that I have seen, that fit this description- style have come in. All of these things make me cautious and I live in hope of one posted with a label!! (Having said that I know of one GMB member who has a definite piece of Harrtil-Harrachov, with the distinctive netting, with a naughty Murano label on it (!!!!) possibly placed there by a Canadian retailer to enhance sales!) But discussing the attribution of such vases as these lovely vases, is what helps to make glass collecting interesting!!

Robert

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
I fully understand your doubts bOBA. Namely the colour is very suspicious for me as well.
But we know that the dark blue pieces had been produce in 60ties (Svobodova pieces) so the colour cannot be the reason to exclude it from the list.

Well, the other Czechoslovakian factories. The free hand shaped glass had been fanricated in Chribska (all what is attributed to Novy Bor had been made in Chribska, in Novy Bor was the company headquarters. The leading designer there was Josef Hospodka, and we can see that the design made there vere very different. ZBS we can eleiminate at all and also Mstisov (Karlovarske sklo later). Seems to me that the piece, if Czechoslovakian, could come only from Skrdlovice.

The possibility - it is not Czech. Well, it must not be the Czech one, but I have the same in green bought in second hand shop in Zdar nad Sazavou. I cannot believe that a foreigner piece (from China ore Scandinavia) would foud the way to the town just 5 km from Skrdlovice.

Well, I will meet Mr Vízner next Thuesday, perhaps he will tell me more, I can ask also Mr. Jan Beranek, and then, when more clever we will close this issue. For the moment I would not give a firm decision.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
Thanks for your explanation of possibilities Jindra! There has to a firm answer for these vases since they occur regularly enough to need certifying regarding their origin. I am, like you, near certain they are of Czech design and there is good reason to believe this is true. And if true, there is a limited selection of glassworks that could have produced them. I think with your contacts, that we will have an answer in due course!! They are generally really lovely vases and I do not mind what the answer is- I just like knowing exactly what it is! In such cases, being right or wrong matters not really, it is finding out the facts that is most interesting. I am hopeful this will have a solution based on solid evidence and I think given their frequency, range of colours, shapes and quality, exported around Europe (at least), someone will unearth advertising of some kind for these vases, studying glass is often surprising.. no bad thing... Surely this is the sort of topic GMB is perfectly designed for!

bOBA (Robert).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand