No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A new piece of Mdina for me too!  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: A new piece of Mdina for me too!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
He might just be busy of course.  >:D

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »
No , dont remember it,
I havent got a sculpture, not overly keen on most , but i do have to say yours is 'different', i suppose its
because its by Michael. Youre a lucky girl  ;D
 :mrgreen:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
The big sculptures are in a different league to the smaller knots (they're tourist pieces really). My sculpture is fairly small compared to most, the ones I've seen at glass fairs were over a foot tall and extremely heavy, but it is unusual in that it has two "portholes" - an area of blown glass that gives the effect of a lens, either deliberately done (though how when it was made on a marver I don't know) or a happy coincidence of trapped air blowing it's own shape when it expanded with the heat of the glass.  As I am fairly ignorant on the technical side of the making I would love some input from others.

Mark Hill has a couple of lovely examples in his book, pg34/5 and their prices were a bit of a surprise too - £4-600!

Suzy x

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »
Rare thing - nice find :-) Well spotted...good old Fleabay and a few hours to spare!
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
Hi Mark

I'd love your thoughts on the 'portholes', have you noticed them on other sculptures, do you think they are a happy accident of trapped air or a deliberate blown lens? 

Suzy x

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
I'm not sure - with studio glass, anything is possible. It may have been a 'happy accident' in that they became apparent somehow, so were incorporated. I'd usually associate the lens motif and its optical effects with central European (especially Czech) glass design of the period. I'm not really aware of lenses being used in any other Harris designs - applied/impresed prunts, polished bases and pontils, and the odd cut facet or two - yes. Even though Michael Harris did meet a couple of visiting Czech glass designers (including Jiri Harcuba) at the RCA, it's probably more of a happy accident, or maybe a trial, than anything else.
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
Do your "lenses" actually DO lens-y (optical) things, Suzy?

For example, my cobalt faceted inside-out does strange things to my thumb or finger when I put it inside the vase, then look through the clear bit - my digit seriously seems to shrink.

(My Dad always used to say this was how to catch dragons.  :thup: Look at them through a telescope the wrong way round, then, when it's miniaturised and has it's mouth wide open (which it will, it's attacking you) shove your arm in, past it's tonsils, right up to the tail, grab the end and yank hard and fast, turning it inside out. The mess can be easily lept in a match box until you find a proper bin.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
I'll have to take your word for it about the dragons Sue - here in Wales we tend to let them live!

I'll see if I can take a pic tomorrow that shows the porthole/lens effect.  It's not very thick glass where it has ballooned, so doesn't have a huge effect, they are rather organic too.  You may have to wait until you see it for yourself.

Suzy xxx

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
Here's the shot through the "porthole".  Not much distortion but you can see the effect it has on the straight bits of the fence, very little effect on the hill in the background.  Definitely more of a window than a lens.

Suzy xxx

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »
That would be lovely for next year's calendar  :hiclp: :hiclp:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum