No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall Wine Decanter - Vintage?  (Read 646 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Tall Wine Decanter - Vintage?
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:35:48 AM »
A rather slim wine decanter measuring 31cm in height with stopper.  The insert attached to the stopper is plastic. The dia. at the top is 2.8cm dia. and the base 9cm.  The stopper is hollow.  Around the rim of the base there is an even line track mark.  Directly under the base are markings that read SGD and below that I think the number 2.  Slightly above the SGD there is a inscribed lettering that I can just about read as  T J 2 From the rim of the base line to the centre is slightly concaved.  One must apologise for the poor pics taken.  Can anyone identify this please.  Many thanks in anticipation.  :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Tall Wine Decanter - Vintage?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:42:25 AM »
Additional pics.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Online Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:21 AM »
Is it the first time you post one of these factory bottles with a nylon stopper? Don't do it again, please

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
 :o I vo no idea what your talking about.

Online Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
You can see from the embossed markings on the bottom that this is a bottle, made in a fully automatic bottle machine. Nylon stoppers were used by mass producers such as the bottle plants at Empoli and by Oberglas Austria in the seventies n eighties - because it was cheap. And it still is - there is nothing collectable about these.  So next time you find one, do yourself a favour and leave it where it is. Hope that offsets the earlier brevity?

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
Hi Ivo, thanks for your information.  I am still however somewhat confused.  Surely it does not matter what glass/bottle it is, if someone likes them that is all that matters. Our preferences will be different of course.  Would you not agree? What I am trying to say is that wether modern or old it is a collectable to someone if they like it.  It is clear from your reply that it is certainly not on your agenda. :24:  Anyway thanks for you help, appreciated always.  :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand