No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Royo vase, pictures at last  (Read 4999 times)

Offline fe-nix

• Members
Re: My Royo vase, pictures at last
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
Thank you. Would you say it depicts anything in particular or did he/she just paint random images? It reminds me of children's fairytale books.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
Royo painted in a Neo-mudejar style which is his own and unmistakable. This one has a prince on a white horse and a castle in the air - he may have been illustrating one of the many popular sagas of Spanish literature, or there is a reconquista theme going on.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline fe-nix

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »
Very interesting. There is also another image of two people, a man and a lady on one white horse together.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
100% typical Royo/Gordiola vase .

Offline fe-nix

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 04:58:05 PM »
Right, now for the hardest question. How much do you think it's worth and should I get it insured? My kids are now debating who should get it in my will. hopefully they have a long time to wait, I'm only 44.  ::) :D
It is 15 inches tall and the glass it 1 cm thick. It's very heavy and I haven't seen on a big when I've googled it. There is one the same shape but only half the size.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
Sorry they are not worth a fortune as yet, so just enjoy ..! the Spanish are just becoming interested in them so the price may go up in time , or you could sell it as Moser as some people are still doing but i imagine you are an honest person , they look great in even a small collection , i believe you are a new member, if so WELCOME ,JP :hug: :love: :cheers:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
from a post of mine in 2005 (how time flies) I observed a large Royo piece in Toledo at E 550.  You could even have found that out if you searched this bord! I assume anything goes - if you have a buyer................................................................  :24: But I'll check the out the factory next week - they may be cheaper there.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
I bought another piece of Royo last week item 200456186039 on ebay very nice and very cheap it has an original label on the base~ Made in Spain ~ Macetero ~ In Spanish i believe this means flowerpot holder and thats just what it looks like , but very pretty . in the USA  a lot are still listed as Moser . :cry: ::) jp

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
So I did see the museum at Gordiola last week and it was wonderful. I found out that enameled glass was produced there as early as the 1920s (!) and it was signed Gordiola. I did not get any wiser about Royo, though.  The museum was just great - tons of misidentified items. Old Mr. Gordiola will be 90 next year and he was (is) an avid collector.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand