No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina vase white and lilac/dirty amethyst - and question (of course :) )  (Read 2865 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I bought this because it's a great shape and I like the colour of the trail and prunt.

Just checking, it is Mdina isn't it?  But also, see pic of base where it is ground flat but has a big D shaped 'mark'.  Is this damage or is this how it was left? And what time period would this be - 80's? Ok when I said question I meant three  ;D
4 1/2" high x 3 1/4" wide
many thanks for any help.
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Pretty sure this is Mdina and would date around the 80s.  However, just to mention I gather the Maltese Mtarfa factory also produced similar designs during the 80s, although think yours is Mdina. From the picture the mark on the base sadly looks like damage.

Hope this helps.
Greg

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Mdina - yes.  80's - yes.  Base - when it was polished, after the pontil rod was removed, the entire pontil scar could not be removed without comprimising the base so was left with part of the scar still visible.

Hope this helps

Suzy x

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thank you both!  Suzy, thanks and  pheww -  I bought it hoping I was right about the base.
The colour on my screen isn't quite right it's definitely a mulberry/lilac/colour rather than the pink it appears to be coming out (I particularly dislike the very pink spattered Mdina colour  :-[ )

thanks again.
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi,

Pleased its not damage!

similar vase shown below:
http://www.thepocketmoneyshop.co.uk/ourshop/images/Glassware/396.jpg

All the best, Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Greg  :)  I came across that one as well so assumed mine must be but was checking because of the Mtarfa connection just in case- I much prefer my colourway ;D
I did unearth a thread on here where it someone had posted one with a D shaped 'hole' in the base so I was hoping mine was also just where the rod was removed as well.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Here's another example of a polished base with a pontil scar remaining (4th photo): http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29019.msg157347.html#msg157347

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand