No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify Murano maker, please.  (Read 2219 times)

Offline wannauseit

• Members
Please help identify Murano maker, please.
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here and joined under the suggestion of a friend (a member here) to see if anyone could help me identify the maker of these two Murano birds I obtained from my Mothers estate after she passed. I am also unsure if they would be considered cockatoo, cockatiels, etc. Please let me know what you think:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Please help identify Murano maker, please.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:47:22 AM »
I saw these offered on eBay this week as Barovier & Toso, but I do not think it is the correct attribution. It is difficult to identify these birds without a label, but they remind me of a blue parrot with a what-I-think-is Aureliano Toso label. The pedestal is the same and the heads of the birds are similar. The blue parrot is close winged, though. The similarities made me wonder if these are Aureliano Toso -- hard to say without some documentation. The blue parrot came off eBay auction yesterday. The auction number is 200450787064 if you want to compare. I have seen this type label on the bottom of Aureliano Toso vases, so believe it is theirs.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline wannauseit

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:22 AM »
Thank you Anita! I have actually been to the site in your signature many times while searching for a duplicate of these 2 birds.

And yes, these 2 were listed on eBay as B&T. It was the description the estate salesman had placed on them during my mothers estate sale, so that's all I had to work with.

I tried & tried to verify the maker before I listed them, but was unable to find a duplicate of these birds.

Alabama here as well.

I'll try your suggestion on the maker in some searches and see what I come up with.

Thank you!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »
Howdy, neighbor! The south is starting to be well represented here. Tami is from south Georgia, just a brisk stone's throw from the Alabama border.  :)

I had some trouble with the blue parrot in the eBay auction. First its crest is severely broken, so who knows what it might have looked like at first. And second, I'm not absolutely sure the label is Aureliano Toso. I would feel more certain if it were listed in a text somewhere. Seeing it on a piece of glass that is attributed to AT, then accepting it as AT gets into some circular logic problems. Maybe someone here can check the label and say definitely whether it is AT.

It would be nice if we could relate the pedestal styles and the companies. I've been reluctant to do this because several companies may have used the same pedestal designs. If you are not able to find who made your birds, it is okay to just list them as Murano, then set your opening bid to the lowest acceptable price.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »
I just want to say Howdy too to Wannauseit since I see she is from the South and welcome. :hiclp:  I hope you find more info on your birds.  Sorry that I could not be of any help but they sure are lovely ones.  I hope they sell. 

tam bam 

Offline wannauseit

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »
Howdy Tam Bam! I am from the south, but not necessarily a she.  :-[  ;D  Thank you for the kind welcome.

I have a bunch of items left I haven't even gotten around to photographing or gotten a description on. If I'm having trouble with makers and descriptions this early on, I have a tough road ahead of me  :spls:

TxSilver, I grew up on the other side of Red Mountain from where you are now, except at the other end of the mountain below WBRC. Had the best seat in town for the July 4th fireworks when I was growing up. I now live in Ashville though. Had enough of the city life  :)

My mother owned a TV repair business on Central Avenue (your side of the mountain) through the 70's-early 90's. Around the corner from Nabeel's (I assume you know where that is).

If I don't find out what the maker of the birds is soon, I will do as you suggested and list them "generically".

Thanks for your help!  :)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
So sorry Wannauseit for assumming that you are a female. :pb: I should not have just assummed your gender.  Please forgive me.  I just hope I did not offend you in anyway.  I just get carried away at times.  :-[

tam bam

Offline wannauseit

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
Not at all Tam! I've done it on other forums myself!  :)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
So glad you are not offended. I was worried there for a minute.

I would love to see pics of your other pieces especially if they look anything like your birds.

I do love your birds. I have always liked the gold against the cream techinque.  It looks so elegant to me.  I do wish we could pin down a maker. 

tam bam

Offline wannauseit

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
I crashed my PC, so I've been out of pocket for a little while.

A soon as I round my images back up again, I'll let you have a look at them if you'd like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand