No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lilac-purple weight ideas plz!  (Read 905 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Lilac-purple weight ideas plz!
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:16 PM »
Hello all. This is the first time I have posted down here in the weight section, I normally post occasionally in the general glass area, mostly on Czech glass. I have recently acquired a blue paperweight that I understand as possibly a Skrdlovice design by Rudolf Beranek, also later produced by the later "Beranek glass" factory on the same site. I was wondering though, if anybody recognised this lilac example, as a Czech weight, or is it possibly British or other? I have seen one listed on ebay.de (the same design as this lilac one, but green) as Skrdlovice but I have found no evidence to support this. Any ideas welcome!

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Lilac-purple weight ideas plz!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »

Beranek have certainly produced weights of similar design, and their current list (Google 'Beranek Glass') shows some 60 odd paperweights, some with similar design elements.  But our friends in China also produce very similar designs to this - though the base is not usually as neatly finished as Beranek ones.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Lilac-purple weight ideas plz!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:55:40 PM »
Thank for the reply Alan, I know the Beranek website quite well, the trouble with an exact match is, I think, that in later years Beranek glass made a lot of weights, maybe as a business stategy and the turnover and production of designs was brisk. I have another one that has a Beranek label but is not on the website.... and know of others. These weights do seem quite well finished to me, but I am learning about weights at the moment. It is obviously a vast area of study. Another vast area of study will be the glassmakers of China in about ten years time I think there will be a need for a big book on the subject as the sheer quantity and quality of it post 2000 will demand a volume! The quality of Chinese production has it seems been improving over the last five years at least and some Murano and Czech type art glass vases can be difficult to assess from photographs alone. This having been said, the Chinese producers are not alone in producing 50's-60's design inspired pieces, some modern North American companies are prodcing pieces that make me double take for authentic 1950's blown pieces, tasteful designs too! But I do not know if these firms are producing weights to confuse paperweight collectors too!! From my minimal understanding of paperweights, there are highly respected modern N American weight designers and makers. Thanks again Alan, if I find more detailed evidence about my weights I will add to this post, I try not to leave loose ends in such enquiries,

Robert

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand