No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maltese paperweight - Quiz time  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Maltese paperweight - Quiz time
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »
live ebay sale, (not mine)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MDINA-GLASS-BROWN-YELLOW-PAPERWEIGHT-LABLE-ON-BASE_W0QQitemZ280484803748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Art_Glass?hash=item414e3274a4

I remember seeing a similar label before,(pic 2) i dont think it was Mdina, (or Mtarfa or Phoenician)
can anyone jog my memory
 ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Maltese paperweight - Quiz time
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
Mtarfa IMHO

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
Could be Christine, maybe very early Mtarfa  :-\

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
Could it be a generic kind of label, used by more than one glassworks? Not a happy thought in terms of IDs.

I have only seen it once before, on an unsigned vase in a similar colourway.

John

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »
Im not sure on this one, some aspects make me think maybe it could be Mdina (like the base shot you can just see the internal glass colouring) then others i think totally not Mdina, but then i dont recall seeing any mtarfa or phoenician glass like this before either.
I emailed the seller re the wording on the sticker as i thought it may help and this is what he said "Malta decorative glass some ink writting possibly D G N/C &OX. Then prited hand made"
We need sue or Suzy really.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
Did I hear my name being called?  Have kept quiet on this one as I'm really not sure - I don't like brown so don't take too much notice of the pieces like this - only dislike the white splodgy stuff more!  It certainly doesn't look like the Earthtones pieces I'm familiar with.  I haven't come across the label before, but as John pointed out it could possibly be used by any maker (or even glass retailer) on Malta so a tricky one to pin down.  Although I'm a collector of Mdina I'm still learning - just like the rest of us!  I tend to go with my gut on most things and my gut says "No" to this one.

Suzy x

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
Glad its not just me Suzy lol.
Im sure i have seen the label somewhere before but cant place it now. Ive got a feeling it is a retailers sticker though.
Currently for me the only thing that makes me think it is Mdina is the base shot and the more i look at it the more i convince myself that it is Mdina, BUT everything else about it is telling me it is not Mdina... which leaves me none the wiser  :chky:
Hey its only up the road from me maybe i should ask if i can have a feel  ;D good excuse to get my nan to make me stew and dumplins  as she lives in Downham :thup:
michelle

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:11 PM »
I think ive seen a similar label before, Mdina decorative glass, was there another small glass company
in the 70s in Malta thats been forgotten?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
This is still a live auction. :spls:

I thought there was a policy here on not commenting on live auctions? :-X
Certainly, I prefer not to in general, and particularly not here as I honestly don't know.

The bottom line is if you can't decide whether you like it or not without a definite "identification", then you probably don't like it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:35:25 PM »
Sue,
i think its ok, heres some notes from the GMB committee, in Board Policy,

"
•If you wish to draw attention to an on-line auction which you consider to be ‘not as described’ you may provide a link to the auction but you should only state that “in my opinion this piece has not been described correctly.” Or, for example, in the case of a signature that you feel is incorrect “the signature does not appear to be genuine.”  It would also be advisable to ask if others have any opinion. Do not state anything is a fact, unless you can provide documentary proof!
•If it is felt that a posting is taking an unfair position in respect of a person selling on an on-line auction the posting will be removed or edited to remove bias.
•You may refer people to specific on-line auction numbers if you want to have guidance, comments, information etc about an item. Some visitors prefer not to comment on live auctions

I dont think we are outside those boundaries.
Im not keen on the PW, i wont be bidding  :pb: just curious.
Paragraph 3 seems to fit Ok,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand