No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for large plate/charger  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for large plate/charger
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »
thanks to all of you for the help.           px - thanks, I have looked at the pictures in your attachment, and have been onto the manufacturers webb site.   Possibly something as large as my plate is maybe not currently produced, but certainly seems to have been one of theirs at some point.    Anyway, an attractive salad platter.   Have also looked at the history of the lady concerned  -  very interesting, so thanks again.   By the way, what does 'Bolgeblick'?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »
böljeblick - undulation of surface after a stone was thrown into water (swedish)

aalto - (also) wave (finnish)

© Roger Peltonen, Pressed Glass in Scandinavia of 1930s: http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2006-1w-peltonen-aalto.pdf
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 03:56:45 AM »
Paul;  a beautiful plate it is. Overall this series is a good representative of both Aalto's works - it is amazing how "modern" looking things they designed those days! I believe the tumblers have been a top seller for Iittala as found in so many Finnish homes, like mine :)
As i do not know anything about glass the only way I hope I may be able to contribute to this site in return of the great advice it gives me is probably finding some interesting links or information from my country.  :-\ :)

pamela: It is interesting Aino Aalto actually named the glass series "Bölgeblick" (as written by hand on the design drawing) although the correct or at least contemporary way of spelling would be "Böljeblick" as you wrote it. ("bölja" = oldish "wave" in Swedish, of course they would be pronounced the same way) There's a bit of playing with words for you Paul ;) like pamela says Aalto is "wave" in Finnish.

Although Alvar was born to a Finnish speaking family I think they spoke Swedish together with Aino (=2nd official language in Finland and by that time  "upper class" very much spoke Swedish although there was this urge for nationalization, that is why so many surnames were changed from Swedish to Finnish e.g. Aino Aalto's maiden name Mandelin -> Marsio)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »
Pamela  -  sincere thanks, and this 'undulation' effect produced by the stone we might call 'ripples' (the name given to the actual rings) - which is exactly the image on the platter.
px  -  what can I say, but a wonderful and interesting reply (wish I knew this much about anything).   Certainly this mixing of the national indentities must have been very confusing.         For anyone like myself who might not have known, I understand that correctly the pronunciation of Iittala shud be 'eetalah' - am I somewhere near? :)       I like the word play, and I think of the design as being slightly 'art deco' perhaps (the beginnings of real modernism) - I believe this circles within circles type of design is called 'concentric rings'.        Terveisin :)

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:42:32 AM »
Yes "Iittala" is [ EET-ta-lah]. The stress in Finnish words is (always) on the first syllable and with easy pronounciation: in general all letters have just one sound they produce and when there are two vocals it is long as for one vocal they sound very short. Same with consonants.
OMG a little OT again but as for other brand names I'll have to add that "Humppilan Lasi" is not like "hump" (in Eng.) ...
 it's more like [HOOMP-pee-lah]   The others are safer.. ;)

I won't reply to the other topic any more in order not to annoy mods, Paul... I am aware they do a great job and one should try keep to glass but I hope a little backround is not too much...  :-[
(or a little pun here and there as long as it's not too often ;) )

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »
Also, for a "how to pronounce" guide on many names see the thread in the Glass Archives forum: "Glassworks Pronunctiation Guide"
KevinH

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
Traced another maker today:
Sindorf 1935 page 52, pattern HILDE
# 3151 f.e. was made for a flower frog and measures 35 cms Ø - apparently 6 ripples

other diametres too with 4 and 5 ripples depending on size

:)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand