No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definately Murano but thats all I know! Pelican/ Toucan?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Members
Definately Murano but thats all I know! Pelican/ Toucan?
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well I bought a swan earlier which some of you may have seen. It was originally priced at £8 but I offered him £5. he said quote....... ''deal, unless you want to pay £8 and have this thrown in. one of the points on the base is damaged so i've had it for ages, and your the only person interested in glass that comes in here''  - I think he just wanted rid of it!!

I thought, well if I like it and damage cant be seen from one side of display then i'll take it. It has its original sticker where you can just about make out Murano. It stands at roughly 14'' tall and is bloomin heavy! Anybody got any information on it other than its Murano. Is it a fairly common peice, what are the worth in good condition, if anything??

Once again, any information would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Definately Murano but thats all I know! Pelican/ Toucan?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Pelican because of the massive pouch IMHO. Don't know much about Murano but I would say it was one of the less common forms

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
Looks very Zanetti in style, but i would have thought it would be signed if it was there work

Offline ChrisB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
Christine- many thanks for your thoughts, I too thought pelican because of the pouch but didnt find much info when researching, but then again im probably looking in the wrong places.

Jonchellycain- I shall get looking into Zanetti pieces to see if I can find similar, although there is no signature on mine.  I have seen a few Formia pieces with the same base so maybe this is from them...??

I really appreciate you all taking the time to help. Thanks

CHris

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
hi there i was just looking through a link that GBarfoot put onto another thread and saw this shark (close to the bottom of the page) and the base looks very similar to the base on your bird. It unfortunitly doesnt give any definate ID's or anything.
michelle
http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/archive/garchivemaster9.html

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
Hi there
I saw one of these today, colouring may have been slighlty different, there was also 2 other birds with it, all with the same base and style (one was a pelican with a see through beak and a little gold fish in the beak). They all had the brand new blue and gold Murano stickers on, i would have taken a picture but had forgotten to take my phone with me today.
sorry still no help on tracking down a who though
michelle

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
The base looks like the Formia bases. So many people make birds in the Formia style, however, that it might be several of the other glassmakers. The colors don't look like Formia to me, but they used many different techniques for their birds. So maybe...
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand