No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue pressed glass flower frog + bowl  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Blue pressed glass flower frog + bowl
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »
I've been tempted to bid on this item, but can't really fit anymore glass in the shed  :lol: at the moment, so I'm posting this item here.

I know virtually nothing of pressed glass, and I wondered if anyone else was interested in this frog and bowl.  I've looked on Pamela's site (thank you!) and I've Googled frantically, but I can't find this style.  It's either unusual or a reproduction  :?:  I suppose.  

Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7366087880
I'd be interested in knowing what it is anyway - I spent quite a while trying to find information on it!   :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 01:52:11 PM »
The flower frog is definitely Czech as I have it myself (same colour but satin glass) although in a different large lace edged matching glass bowl. It belonged to my mom, who had it since the 40s

hope that helps a bit :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:34:18 PM »
I was tempted too but had to reckognize then this seller only ships to GB  :cry:
unknown czech origin
thank you Alma
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 05:09:09 PM »
Hi Cheri and Pamela  :)

Thank you for your help in identification.  It was the size that put me off this item really - it was quite a whopper!   :shock:  

I don't have much idea how to use these flower frogs + bowls.  If I'm going to buy one at some point, I'd better find out how to use them!  :oops:

Thanks again. xx
I am not a man

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 05:15:36 PM »
Hi Max

these flower frogs and bowls make absolutely beautiful centerpiece displays. You pour some water into the bowl and then arrange the flowers thru the holes in the base of the frog. I usually float a few blloms and leaves on the water in the bowl as well, and add a few drops of sterilizer to the water to preserve the blooms and prevent algae.

I recently sold a clear frosted lady like this (without the bowl or insert) for a decent amount.
The similar turquoise set I have from my mom, Alma, is very precious to me as she is the one who started me on my passion for glass at a very young age, and so I named my online sites after her! :P

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:27:02 PM »
The similar turquoise set I have from my mom, Alma, is very precious to me as she is the one who started me on my passion for glass at a very young age, and so I named my online sites after her!

Aww, that's nice!  :D  :D

You've made the flower frog idea sound so pretty that I wish I'd bought it now!  :x   Maybe next time...  :roll:  :D
I am not a man

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 09:01:08 AM »
Quote from: "AlmasAttic"
The flower frog is definitely Czech as I have it myself (same colour but satin glass)

Fabulous item - I adore these bowls and figural centerpieces. I wish I had more room, but our bay window is already full of these and other "deco" style pieces.

Cheri, can you tell me how you know for sure this is Czech? Is it marked in some way - or is there another way you can tell its origin?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:09:58 PM »
Hi Glen
it isnt marked...I have just always seen this figural frog attributed to 1930s Czech. I have most often seen it in the same large laced edge bowl like mine is in, and have seen it in amber, green, turquoise(aqua) and white frosted glass

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
Cheri - many thanks for your reply.

The reason I asked if you had firm proof of attribution is that I often see items vaguely attributed as "Czech" that are Walther or Brockwitz (and thus, German). Not so much today (although it does still happen) but certainly a few years back.

In Carnival circles, in the past the same sort of thing used to happen with anything unknown....it would be classed as "English" rather a lot. Then it changed to a general attribution of "European". Today we are better informed and try to be more specific where possible - and more vague when not (if that makes sense :shock: )

My own preference when unsure, but if I feel the item is not from, say the USA, is to class as "probably European".

Just my way of playing safe - based on the surprises that research can throw up as the years go by.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand