No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pick your brains re drinking glass  (Read 495 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Pick your brains re drinking glass
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
If I may can I pick someones brain and see if this rings a bell from my description.  I saw some glasses today which I very nearly bought but they were just a little too much for me and hubby was with me so thought better of it.  I know I have seen them somewhere maybe in a book but cannot locate now and it is beginning to bug me.  They were babycham styled (well sloped) heavy with a large teardrop before joining the stem, so thinking about it they must have been cased.  Definately had a knop of what shape I cannot remember.  Polished pontil and had reasonable age as they had lots of wear.  The base was not as wide as the top as I remember putting them on top of each other and whilst it stood without a wobble it did drop down.  I hope this makes sense.  I am not going to buy them as like I say out of my reach but just wondered who they are.  I think the teardrop is the big point.
Thanks in advance
Margi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Pick your brains re drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:51:48 AM »
Not quite sure I understand the description, Margi. When you say 'teardrop', are you referring to a teardrop shaped lump of glass, or a bubble? And when you say the teardrop was before joining the stem, exactly where on the glass was it?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: Pick your brains re drinking glass
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
I shall try to explain better sorry. where you pour your drink into the glass on the bottom normally comes to a point or flat this was a large teardrop shape.  Then it looked to be cased so the bottom of the teardrop was about 2 cm above the stem which was solid.  If I still havent explained clearly I shall draw it and scan it in.  Never have been one to explain things properly probably why I was always in trouble as a kid.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand