No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina rare 'cut ice' fish vase signed by Michael Harris...  (Read 15735 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina rare 'cut ice' fish vase signed by Michael Harris...
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
I should also add, that now I've studied the image showing the sides in daylight, that I do not think this has actually been cut on both sides, sorry Paul.
It is cut on one side, the other side is simply marvered flat - it's still a bit rounded, and I can see the concentric rings which appear on the marvered side. So it is definitely a Cut-Ice Lollipop, and cut on only one side, as is usual for a cut one.

Is it my Lollipops or Fish you wish to see? Think I can dig out a Fish picture, but would have to get the camera out for lollipops.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »
I have to agree Sue I have just re examined the item in daylight and with my glasses on and as you observed it is cut and faceted one side
and simply marvered but not flat on reverse. I would like to see any of your 'lollypops' with the same patterning if possible also sizes please.
Regards Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
 :thup: ok, but you'll need to wait a wee bit 'til I can get them organised.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 09:44:28 AM »
 ::)
Ok, about as organised as I can get.
Pic.1;
A Cut-Ice lollipop, signed by Michael Harris. 8 3/8" tall x 7.5" wide, marvered flat on one side, cut into two faces on the other.
A slim, tall Cut-Ice lollipop, 8.5" tall x 5.5" wide. Two marvered faces on one side, two cut faces on the other. The funny wrinkly line on this one in the pic. is an effect of the marvered face on the "join" between the two bits of paper I used as background.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/wave/SGS/lollipops2.jpg

Pic. 2;
Two (later, I believe) Ice-Cut lollipops - the strapping inside is flatter, one is signed by Dobson.
a.) 9.75 " tall x 8" wide, two cut faces on the front, marvered flat on the back, signed by Dobson, 1974.
b.) 9.5" tall x 7.25" wide, two marvered faces on the front, back marvered flat, unsigned, large manufacturing flaw on the back.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/wave/SGS/lollipops3.jpg

Pic.3;

Again, I believe this to be a later one - it has reddish coloured streaks rather than aubergine - the neck is very roughly finished off - heat finished, but it still looks sort of broken. 9.5" tall x 7.25" wide, two marvered faces on the front, marvered flat on the back.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/wave/SGS/lollipops4.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »
Ooh, very nice Sue. :hiclp:

Re your third photo, I would agree about the age and the colours used, similar to this bottle.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »
Gorgeous, John - I take it that's one of the cube vases - faceted on 4 sides?

(I reckon these are great - and seriously under-rated)

You can sort of see how it may have been developed from the Ice-cut shape and colour-design - it's not flattened, though - and you can also see the Tiger design emerging - I actually have a cube bottle which IS Tiger.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »
Yes, one of the four sided bottles, a lovely and heavy beast.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand