No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Cardinal's Hat Bowl With Yellow Flecks & Gold Leaf - Venini?  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
After seeing Ivo's aventurine bowl in this shape here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32443.0.html I've been prompted to look into my own, seemingly related bowls.

First is in clear glass with yellow flecks marvered in throughout. The underside has applied gold leaf/ dust. I've seen this form on various dealer sites always attributed to Martinuzzi for Venini, but have yet to find a reliable source for this attribution, though this is not entirely surprising as Murano isn't really my strongpoint.

Anyway the bowl is very thin & light. There is a neatly snapped pontil mark to the underside. I believe the bowl dates from the 1920s/30s & there are certainly signs of wear, both loss to the gold leaf & wear spots where the lobes have rested on a surface over the years.

I don't have a ruler handy, but estimate it's around 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter - I'll update this once I can measure it accurately. I also have a much larger bowl in this form but turquoise & with a subtle iridescence I hope to post soon.

Any info would be much appreciated ;)

Thanks,
Steven

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Murano Cardinal's Hat Bowl With Yellow Flecks & Gold Leaf - Venini?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
Base shot

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
check for a sig on the underside on one of the ribs; mine has a matt "Italy" in Italics but you need good eyes and sly lighting to see it.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
Thanks Ivo, I've had a very good look at both bowls under different light sources but can't see any marks.

Anyway, here's the blue bowl. It measures 30.5 cm (12 inches) in diameter. Has fewer lobes than the yel;low bowl, but is similarly light and delicate. Although it doesn't show so well in the photos, the surface has been iridised. It has a bright shiny soap-bubble like appearance in the centre, shading into a matt, stretched iridescence towars the rim. Pontil mark shows 6 points of attachment, neatly snapped.

Thanks,
Steven

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:45:12 AM »
Just to add, the yellow flecked bowl actually measures 25 cm (10 inches) In diamater.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
I believe your yellow fleck bowl was made by Salviati, that subtle colouring using polveri is often seen in their wares. From memory I think this one is slightly smaller than yours:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53743.0.html

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand