No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not very handsome amber controlled bubble vase help  (Read 741 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Not very handsome amber controlled bubble vase help
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:42 AM »
Hello again – Can anyone identify this amber vase?  It was described by the seller as a Murano piece although that is most likely untrue as 80% of the glass that is sold here in Poland on “Allegro” is described as either Murano or WMF.   :24:

It is 22cm high (the foot is 2,3cm high) and has controlled bubbles.  The top and bottom of the vase seem to be a slightly darker shade of amber than the middle bit.  The base has a polished pontil. 

I’ve seen a few similar vases by German makers, but none have a ‘foot’ like the vase above.

Can anyone help?  Thank you again! 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Not very handsome amber controlled bubble vase help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
German or Polish in my opinion. Definitely not Murano. I can not add anything more  :spls:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:21:52 AM »
After looking at the pictures, I was going to say that it looks a bit like some Johansfors vases but not with a foot like that, and then I read you post. I'll still say it.

I think you're being very hard on the little vase, with only a strange foot holding it back. Still could be Scandi.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »
It looks Polish to me. The difference between Polish and German/Swedish production is that in Poland the products seem to be a lot heavier and have a less rigid design aspect. If you set two pieces next to eachother, the 2 Polish ones will have slight variations in thickness, circumference, foot etc. while the Scandinavian/ German pieces are always identical. Though, as always, there are exceptions to the exception.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
Thank you for your comments and time!

I bought the vase on 'Allegro' although the seller was located in England and not Poland -- not that it makes a huge difference.  I still don't think the vase is very handsome... it lacks character. 

I guess I'll use it for the flowers my husband never gets me  :24:  Maybe it will appeal more to me then.  ;D

All the best!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand