No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Leerdam lable-how old??  (Read 3224 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Leerdam lable-how old??
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:14:50 AM »
Small crystal glasses and decanter with this oldish looking label- Leerdam- What age would this be please? No marks on the base of any of the items.  Regards from a now raining NZ   Carol
Carolglass

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Leerdam lable-how old??
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 05:32:23 AM »
According to my book, after 1957 they always used the word 'royal' on their label, or a crown. I suspect this is the label that was used from 1953 to 1957, which should have that particular shape, but without the crown or the word royal.

Ivo or someone else with more Dutch collecting experience, please correct me if I'm wrong here, since I'm not working from personal experience but only from the reference guide.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:00:16 AM »
I completely agree with Astrid - mid fifties would be correct. 

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
Morning Astrid and Ivo- after re reading your book Ivo I caught the reference to Royal Leerdam. Astrid was the book referred to in your posting Ivo's or something else? Many thanks for your reply's. With the complete absence of wear to any of the items I am amazed they have survived after so long!!   :kissy: Carol
Carolglass

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
I have to confess I hadn't bought Ivo's book yet (but I remedied that)... I started my book collection with 'leerdam glas', by A. van der Kley-Blekxtoon and another one of hers 'Kristalunie Maastricht' (in Dutch). I figured that regardless of what I eventually was going to settle on to collect, there was a real chance I was going to run into works from these two factories. And it already paid off, since I recognized one Maastricht Verboeket Antiqua vase last week.

I have to say Dutch glass is growing on me. Though the ones I like best (Lebeau really caught my eye) are totally out of reach of my wallet. I innocently remarked to a dealer at an arts and antique fair recently that I liked his purple Lebeau Leerdam bowl best, and he congratulated me on my taste. It turned out it was the most expensive item in his glass inventory at the fair. One of those sold at an auction for several thousands of euros. Oh well. At least Verboeket Antiqua is very affordable :)

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Those books also have a section on the marks applied by those factories with the known dates.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »
Hey Astrid, many thanks for the book information-will pursue when I have $$ as I have a couple of Maastrich pieces as well. Also like you I have a propensity or weakness to go for the yummiest glass- the most expensive as per usual!!. Thanks Carol
Carolglass

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:40:38 AM »
They're still in print, shouldn't be too difficult to buy copies. I bought mine from www.bol.com.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand