No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: reminder for Mark Hill fans re British TV at 8.30 GMT tonight  (Read 973 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
just a reminder for 8.30 GMT tonight on British TV (BBC 2) for Mark Hill and his lovely accomplice :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Re: reminder for Mark Hill fans re British TV at 8.30 GMT tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
just a reminder for 8.30 GMT tonight on British TV (BBC 2) for Mark Hill and his lovely accomplice :)

The series link is set on sky+  :hiclp:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
Just watched it on I player as i was at work last night, brilliant as ever.
Here is a link to I

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
sorry managed to hit the enter button it think half way through typing  :spls2:

Just watched it on iplayer as i was at work last night, brilliant as ever.
Here is a link to iplayer for anybody else who missed it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s8kps/Cracking_Antiques_Thurlbourns/

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
I was hoping for a much more in depth look at antiques and collectables especially glass with this series but it seems its just another make over programme, as if there are not enough of those already.
I really don't get it with the BBC they have great experts like Mark Hill and others who have fantastic knowledge and a great way of educating all of us and they just ignore that or at most have a 2min slot like last night on British Studio Glass. WHY NOT THE WHOLE 30 MINS And tell all these people who want their homes redsigned mainly at the licence payer expense to go and pay for a designer.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

:sleep:Back to watching paint dry :sleep:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
uhmmmm  -  I'm inclined to agree Mike.     Mark Hill does certainly draw the short straw when it comes to allocation of time for his speciality.    However, you know what the thinking is behind this, of course, popularity and ratings, as always.   The number of people who have a serious interest in collecting and investing in glass is nothing compared to the vase hordes of middle/working class people who spend their waking hours dreaming of idylic make-overs - cottages by the sea, National Trust paint colours, and 'throws' over the backs of chintzy furniture.   Guess its life I'm afraid, and the likes of us just get the left overs. >:(

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
I think  these programmes are really aimed at the masses, to appeal to as many as possible. Although we may have more than a passing interest in glass collecting, imagine the viewing figures for a whole 30 minutes dedicated to it on TV, pretty poor for sure and hence why it will never happen.
I cannot really remember seeing any full programes being given over to one collecting subject, possibly it is asking too much and I would be bored witless watching a full programme about collecting dinky toys.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
During the glass spot, there was a Tim Harris cameo glass piece, (unattributed) a gorgeous Sam Herman and a lovely Ed Iglehart, and A.N. Other piece of glass.

Does anybody know what the A.N. Other was?
I speculated Martin Evans of Glory Art Glass, but honestly don't know.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
I agree with all the above comments - but found it worth watching for the miniscule glass slot alone!  Thanks for asking for identity of A.N. other, I'd also like to know----------------

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately I missed the one last week, but have seen the other three, including last night's. I have mixed feelings about the format, but am pleased/grateful that Mark has managed to put in so many plugs for glass in all the episodes I have seen.

I have to make an unfavourable comment on one of his pieces of advice given in the second episode about buying cut glass decanters.

Specifically, how to tell when a stopper matches a decanter base ....and if anyone tries it on my stand....they will be politely, but firmly asked to leave :o :o NEVER, NEVER, NEVER turn a stopper in the neck of a decanter so that you can lift it up using only the stopper. Apart from any possible accident that could occur if you omit to give it gentle support below, it is possible that the two pieces (stopper and base) can be locked together - especially if they are unpolished. Then its off to the restorer to get them parted!!

What should you do? Well simple hold the base with one hand and use a finger of the other hand to see if the stopper 'rocks' in the base. If it does it is not the correct one. (Although occasionally there can be a minor 'kick' which can be OK). Yes the number matching is important, but has become less so since it is commonly known, and of course this is an easy thing to change/fake.

The most important thing to do is to note whether or not the two pieces actually match, then, check the fit.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand