No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki? Vase unusual colour  (Read 1734 times)

Offline robert1960

• Members
Re: Riihimaki? Vase unusual colour
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
Hi Chris
 I've never seen that colour or height/ proportion in a Riihmaki vase

Alhough it certainly has the 'look' about it  

I tihnk there is some difference of opinion as to what a ground and polished rim is, compared to a fire polished rim?

Robert

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
All these vases must have ground rims, as they have no base pontil marks. It's what happens next that's the question. They are then either polished on a wheel, which gives a lovely shine but leaves a sharp (I don't mean sharp as in able to cut you) angle on the edge. Sometimes these edges are also removed by grinding then polishing, which gives a chamfer to the rim (i.e., four angles). Or the top is whizzed under a very hot flame to add shine and remove the angles. This at is how mine is done.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
Ah!

Ok, that explains it better to me, Thanks!  :D

The cheaper 'export' vases seem to have had the 'flame' treatment, the middling ones are ground and chamfered, much like, say, a Whitefriars coffin vase

Only a few, and I suppose where the design and cost demands it, seem to be tooled and hot worked to form a rounded lip.

Incidentally, the only Riihimaki vase I own with a pontil mark is the largest size of Sun vase

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand