No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please, help me identify 2 Scottish Paperweights  (Read 1015 times)

Offline kalinkr

• Members
Please, help me identify 2 Scottish Paperweights
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:39:24 AM »
Plese help me identify these two paperweights.

Kalin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Please, help me identify glass paperweights!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:10:12 AM »
Kalinkr, thanks for setting up new threads for your weights and for providing larger images. But it would have been better to have one thread per weight to avoid confusion, as Christine originally pointed out. But for now, I think we can handle things reasonably well.

In the original thread (now locked) with all weights together, Christine said:
Welcome to the board. ...
The bottom middle one [Left one in above photo] is most likely Scottish and the bottom right is from Murano I think.

Following Chistine's comments, I said:
Christine is correct about the lower middle weight [Left one in above photo] being Scottish (either Vasart Ltd or Strathearn), but the lower right is also Scottish (Strathearn) not Murano. ... I suspect that the lower middle weight [Left one in above photo] might turn out to be a little more interesting than the usual regular production Vasart / Strathearn spoke pattern.
Can you please, add some comment about the base photo with the "yellow" circle in the middle. I am sure this is the base of the left-hand weight with the "spoke" pattern. Is the "yellow" actually a "crystalised" substance inserted into a recess? If so, then it very likely covers a medallion that was used in a set of company commissioned weights in 1959 and that would prove it to have been made in Vasart Ltd company (which later became Strathearn in 1964/5). This 1959 information was discovered by one of the Board members and he wrote articles about it for the PCC Newsletter and the PCA Annual Bulletin.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand