No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay - Vaseline Table Lamp  (Read 2852 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Ebay - Vaseline Table Lamp
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
 :-[

I should have dug my book out to check, sincere apologies, but it would have meant a lot of heavy lifting to find the right one.
You're perfectly right to be Mr. Picky - thanks so much for correcting me. :-*

Naturally though, the names refer to the colour of the glass in daylight.

kindest wishes,
Ms. Sloppy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
so, from Mr. Thicky  -  here are the pictures of my brownish/yellowish goblet and desert dish (?).      thanks also to Sue     and for my next trick.........

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
 :spls:

I'd call those Annagelb, given they're ambery yellow - not even remotely green....... (until you do "tricks" with an uv light, but that doesn't count.  :P )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
thanks Anne, and I shall now know for the future :)
Guess you are right Sue, so I shall mark these down as 'gelb  -  they certainly have a yellowish brown look.    If anyone is able to put up some pictures of 'grun, then that might be helpful.   

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33279.0.html

Have a peek at some of Christine's listings!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
This is quoted from http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/riedel-uranglas.pdf :

„Schon Franz Anton Riedel (1786-1844) [SG: Franz
Xaver Anton] hatte sich „an der Erfindung des mit Uranoxyden
gefärbten Glases beteiligt“. [Hais 1988] Die
später weltberühmt gewordenen Bezeichnungen „Annagelb“
und Annagrün“ bzw. „Eleonorengrün“ dürften
folglich noch aus der Zeit Franz Anton Riedels
stammen, der die neuen Glassorten nach seinen Töchtern
Anna Maria (geb. 1819) und Eleonora (geb.
1820) benannte. Die frühesten bekannt gewordenen
„annagelben“ und eleonorengrünen“ Gläser tragen die
Jahreszahlen 1841 (vgl. Riedel 1991, Abb. 91).

"Franz Anton Riedel (1786-1844) named the newly invented glass colours after his daughters Anna Maria (born 1819) and Eleonora (born 1820)":
yellow-green = Anna-gelb
strong-green = Eleonoren-grün

:nogoss:  ;D

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
Those are amber (and very nice). Amber uranium glass was produced by several companies, including Thomas Webb. They called theirs Sunshine Amber.
The top pic is some continental amber uranium. The next pic is also amber, but not Webb

Annagelb only contains uranium as a colorant and generally appears a pale yellow green in daylight and more yellow if there is no UV around (third pic). It's the colour of Davidson's Primrose. It only seems to be truly yellow when there almost no transmitted light, for example, in Walsh's Primrose, which is uranium yellow over white, or when used in genuine flint glass, when it's known as canary flint and weighs a ton (fourth pic).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
A piece of Primrose (top) and Webb I think rather than Walsh, and my pride and joy my Webb's Gay glass cut with water lilies and in Sunshine Amber

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
if I may reply to Pamela first ........
Sorry, my German is inadequate to understand fully your extract from the 'pressglas-korrespondenz'  -  however, do I understand you correctly that whilst Josef Riedel discovered the process of adding Uranium to glass, it was in fact Franz Anton who gave us the names Annagrun and Annagelb - in reference to his daughters.   The reason for asking this is because, as was implied earlier in this thread, one of my glass dictionaries suggests that 'Annagrun' was named after Josef's wife....."as was also Annagelb".......and my only other dictionary suggests also that.........."Annagrun and Annagelb- introduced by Josef Riedel's Dolny Polubny factory, and named after his wife, Anna Maria".   However, it seems that in the light of what you say, these books are probably innacurate.
References:   'An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass - Thames & Hundson - 1977
                   ' The Encyclopedia of Glass - Edited by Phoebe Phillips - PP/H Heinemann  -  1981
Books such as dictionaries suffer probably more than most from inaccuracies (too many details to be checked, so SOME editors go for the quick fix, and simply copy from another dictionary)  -  Samuel Johnson excepted of course ;D     However, as Lustrousstone now seems to indicating - my pieces are neither :'(  -  unfortunately, I don't have time to reply to Lustrousstone this evening, so will have to be tomorrow.
thanks again Pamela.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »
Your pieces are much less common!!  :mrgreen:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum