No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Durand fakes ID  (Read 811 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Durand fakes ID
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I'll be seeing this vase at an auction Saturday.  It is identified as signed Durand, and from this single photo looks right.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a website showing real and fake Durand signatures?  Thanks for taking a look.

BTW, I've found some past sales on blue vases, but nothing in gold.  How does the interest in the two colors compare?  I know the treatment is generically called aurene, which I think was a Steuben trademark.  What did Durand call this finish?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Durand fakes ID
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
I can not direct you to a signature site, but I can address the value differentiation between gold and Blue. My experience is, regardless of house, that the blue generally commands a higher price than the gold. Depending on company and rarity of shape the price bump generally appears to be around 20% or more for blue over gold.

In the case of some of the Steuben Aurene pieces in rare colors, they are in a completely different range regardless of shape..... a red Aurene hearts and vines Steuben vase has brought as much as $30,000, while a nice example of the same shape in gold or blue would generally be under $2000

Craig

Edit:  The shape appears to be right based on some examples of threaded pieces I found. Most signed examples I found (not a whole lot) showed the company name, and also a numeric id such as 1812-7 which I found on the underside of a threaded piece in the same shape as the pictured vase in a Durand decor which won an award at the Sesqui-centennial International Exposition held in Philadelphia in 1926. (150th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence). I also found information indicating that the "u" in Durand may be in the form of a "v" in later signatures.  Earlier examples were apparently not signed but later pieces were.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »
Thank you, Craig.  I am sure this is signed, as the auction house that has it would not know what it is if not signed.  At least here in the States, if someone were going to fake a signature on this piece, they would choose something other than Durand.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
You are right. The average idiot, I mean forger, here stateside would have signed it Steuben or Tiffany....
Good luck at the auction....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand