No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Labelled BOHEMIAN PW -- Candle ??  (Read 1334 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Labelled BOHEMIAN PW -- Candle ??
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:49:33 PM »
Hi, I bought this off course because it had a Label on it and since I do not know a thing about PW.  A new venture for me.  Anyways it does have a GOLD FOIL label that states:  Glass-Rubs 24% ?something?, Handmade Bohemian Crystal.  It is about 3 inches tall.  As you can see, it also has a little wick (and holding cell) in it to hold some burning fluid in it as a candle.  This is removable.  Has not been used ever -- but is this type of thing *different* in PW?  Anyone know what year it was made, as the bottom does seem to shown wear. 

With a Gold Foil label, is it older?  Like in Murano things?  Anyone know the actual person (maker) of this?  Is this a bit more collectible than the other ones I just posted -- or did I do a bit better with the purchase of this? LOL

Is their a Label Section for PW labels?  Is this one there?  Or is this label of interest for our label section in the Glass Gallery.  Let me know...

** I will post another pic in a following post of the little removable wick thing...........

Any info on this is most Welcome.  Thanks as always

;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Labelled BOHEMIAN PW -- Candle ??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
*** Another Pic, the removable Wick...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »
Extract from info re: Glass Rubs s.r.o. (Czech Republic) -
Production: - hand-cut lead crystal - colour oil lumineries also clear cut oil vials - promotion weights (printing according to the wish of a customer) - colour crystal glassware..
Perhaps further googling will find info for how long the company has been operating?

Note that there was (maybe still is??) also a Chinese company called Glass Rubs (Chongqing) Co Ltd. No idea if there was (is) any connection with the Czech company.

Anyway, your item would seem to fall neatly into the "colour oil lumineries" category. As such it is not really a paperweight. But paperweight collectors also like to include "related objects" in their collections. And "related objects" can mean almost anything that shows evidence of being worked in a "paperweight-like" manner - although usually it would be such as a "mantle ornament" or "tazza" or "., with millefiori canes or filigrana; or something a bit more obvious like a candlestick mounted on a paperweight base.
KevinH

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »
Thanks kevH. 

I just thought it was different, and since I know nothing about them -- and at least this had a label on it so I would always know...LOL.  Thanks for the info.  :thup:

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:01:04 AM »
label that states:  Glass-Rubs 24% ?something?

That is 24% PbO, the chemical symbol for lead oxide.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:38:52 AM »
Thanks - i was wondering IF that was what it was for -- but my school years are far (far, far) behind me.  Thxs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand