No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Fat Lava" type glass vase? with partial label - ID = Royal Artglass, Welz, Cz  (Read 2784 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: What the *H* is this? And Partial Label - -
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:02:54 AM »
Hi Craig -

I just sent you an email, just to make sure you get it......but I have not taken the bigger pics yet.  It was cloudy, and rainy here so wait for some sunshine to do this.

;D
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Thought I would add here:  http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/manw-z.htm

Quote from above Link
"Welz, Franz
Klostergrab (Hrob), near Teplitz-Schönau (Teplice), Bohemia (1728 - c 1920s)
Hand-blown glass. Labels; 'F.W.K.' (for Franz Welz, Klostergrab), 'Royal Art Glass' & heraldic lion rampant"

;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I have confirmed that the Glasmarken Lexicon 1600-1945 lists the Royal Artglass label as a Welz label.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Thanks Craig -

I took some pixs today, and have to load them on the computer here (plus deleted some other old pics here).  I hope you find them OK.  I will sent them as they are without cropping them myself, as I will let you decide how you want to crop them, or how you want to show it.  I try tonight to do it, if I get lots of old other pixs deleted here too (house cleaning time on the computer).

Also, I know this is a silly question and GMB member do not like to quote any value - but how do I determine (ball-park) what it is worth.  I can not find anything comparative here on the Net -- and I have no idea what older glass like this is worth.  I also like to keep some notes here (My Bucket List) and what I have found out about my glass, so IF something happen to me :crossedFngrs: that my notes here (my own personal inventory) of what I know about the glass, and starting point value.  I would never want an executor not taking care in my stuff here, whatever it may be.  

So I never little notes too stuck in/on my stuff stating what it is -- so would you be able to give a ball-bark figure?

Also, it is confirmed this is 1920?

I am confused (also) on another thing -- is it called Fat lave glass, or is it like a splatter glass or a end of day glass.  How can one tell IF there is a difference?  Is that the correct name?  Know of any other examples?  How was this glass made?

I just have so many questions now for my little treasure -- That started out as the Ugly duckling looking like Pottery with dust and dirt on it.  I hope you do not mind.............

As for makers, how does WELZ rate among the CZECH glass makers from that era?  Thanks, but I do not know anything about this.  Remember, I thought it was a piece of pottery when I first L@@KED at it --- lol.

Thanks.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I would date the piece, based on shape and decor to be ca. 1925-1930.  As far as a name for the decor, there is not really one.  On the website we will define a name for the decor, but I am not sure what it will be named yet...

Unfortunately for many of these companies there is little documentation available regarding their production.

The term that was applied "Fat Lava" is a term that was used by a member due to the appearance of the glass being similar to a style of pottery. It is not actually a Welz name, or a name for the decor....

As far as a comparison of Welz to other makers of the period, there is not a lot of information available on their production. I have taken a personal interest in identifying some of their production, as I am of the belief that much of it has been mistakenly attributed to Kralik over the years. I personally like their glass, as they used some very cool color combinations and decors which are pretty unique....  There will be a fair number of examples of their glass on the website when it launches....  I have uncovered some very interesting things in my research....

I hope this helps.....  Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Thanks Craig:

I just sent you some (small pile....LOL) so that you could pic and chose which ones will work best for you, and what you are wanting to see in the photo (certian thing ??) that I may not be aware of.  So let me know that you got them...

I would date the piece, based on shape and decor to be ca. 1925-1930.  As far as a name for the decor, there is not really one.  On the website we will define a name for the decor, but I am not sure what it will be named yet...

Do we get *to name* the decor, or styling of this?  Should we have suggestions here or do you have an personal idea for it.....Just don't name it after ME   ;D .......?  This is so funny that I *thought* it was a piece of pottery before I picked it up.  I was thinking I could post it on the PB there.  Anne would have given me the boot, I mean a  :kissy: boot......Lol.  (j/k)  So here it is now a FAT LAVA piece of glass.  Pottery name, but Glass product.

So I guess the little sucker deserves a few better pics of it than before.  Here are a couple samples shots sent to Craig.....I am not NO Professional Photographer, but I tried... :spls2:

From a $3.99 purchase at the Thrift Store to all this.....   :hiclp:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
*** and 2 more BETTER  pics (I hope) of the little beauty.  This shot with the full vase HERE, I think is my Favorite pic as you can see the bottom rim too.  Enjoy, it deserves better pics now that we know what it is -- and also -- always for a reference here.
:thup:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
 :hi: there:

I found another one of these on the web here.  I thought I would post a link just to show another variation of this item.  I did *contact* the seller, and advised him about he had, posted a link to this topic.....and most of all, Invited him to join this Board.   

His Czech vase:
http://www.rubylane.com/item/559187-RL00366/Unique-Squatty-End-Day-Cased

I hope he does !! 

So will watch, and Welcome him when he does !!   :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand