No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red/blue basket  (Read 1888 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Red/blue basket
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
I find it's well worth keeping an eye on what's for sale there. You can spot loads of it appearing in "antiquey" places.
You can also get some really wonderful, functional stuff very cheaply.

I trust you do know how to hunt haggi?
Chase them round the hill the wrong way, so they fall over. 
(they have short legs on one side, and long ones on the other - suitable for running round hills in one direction only.  But you knew that, didn't you?  :thup:)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
Yes please do  - I was in my local one recently and had to lie down to recover from shock.....  I have never seen such a mish mash of glass - one piece like yours.  All had made in China or Poland, many with Murano stickers.  Unfortunately I did'nt take notice of them.  But and its a big but - the quality is not right.  I thought the animals had a glarish quality to the colours and some of the finish on the vases was slap happy'ish.... something to do with the light maybe - but I don't think so.  They just didn't feel right when held.... I see a glass minefield stretching before us!!  :spls:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 07:54:23 PM »
With glass, you are always holding the original in your mitts - you just don't always know what origins it has.
If it's a nice piece, it will always be a nice piece, no matter where it came from.

Lots of the Polish stuff there is fantastic.
(Look for the heavy, beautifully made bits with Krosno stickers on.)
I have bought quite a few things.
Several Beranek Tropical Flowers, Caithness PWs, fabby Krosno cut glass tumblers - even a massive Jablonski sculptural piece. Signed. (He signs everything.)
And a massive "Vetre'd'arte Murano" (that's what it says on the sticker, or something like that - it's upstairs -  too far away to get) mushroom, which probably came from a lot further east than Italy.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline haggishunter

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »

I trust you do know how to hunt haggi?
Chase them round the hill the wrong way, so they fall over. 
(they have short legs on one side, and long ones on the other - suitable for running round hills in one direction only.  But you knew that, didn't you?  :thup:)

Oh yeah i knew that already lol. I stand at the bottom of the hill while my workers chase them. They roll to me like Easter eggs lol.

Yes please do  - I was in my local one recently and had to lie down to recover from shock.....  I have never seen such a mish mash of glass - one piece like yours.  All had made in China or Poland, many with Murano stickers.  Unfortunately I did'nt take notice of them.  But and its a big but - the quality is not right.  I thought the animals had a glarish quality to the colours and some of the finish on the vases was slap happy'ish.... something to do with the light maybe - but I don't think so.  They just didn't feel right when held.... I see a glass minefield stretching before us!!  :spls:

I do remember stopping to stare at the glassware section when i was in there last time. And there was an array of vases and glasses and even these huge clear balls. Far too big to be a paperweight.

With glass, you are always holding the original in your mitts - you just don't always know what origins it has.
If it's a nice piece, it will always be a nice piece, no matter where it came from.

Lots of the Polish stuff there is fantastic.
(Look for the heavy, beautifully made bits with Krosno stickers on.)
I have bought quite a few things.
Several Beranek Tropical Flowers, Caithness PWs, fabby Krosno cut glass tumblers - even a massive Jablonski sculptural piece. Signed. (He signs everything.)
And a massive "Vetre'd'arte Murano" (that's what it says on the sticker, or something like that - it's upstairs -  too far away to get) mushroom, which probably came from a lot further east than Italy.....

Ive never purchased glass from TKMaxx, but the stuff i saw looked pretty nice. Well apart from some outrageous objects. Its a crazy world of glass. And everything is so mind bogglingly difficult to trace because so many people recreate in styles. I envy those who have spent time learning the vast quantities of knowledge about glassware. Im sure im a good few years away from giving out my own advice lol.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
I rightly feel I*'ve have my hand slapped Sue, I'll go take another look and keep my eyes open - I guess I picked a bad day - as some pieces were damaged and there were def., no good or signed pieces, in fact not many at all, other than loads of animals and some vases.

I have to admit I have bought some wonderful stuff, including cutlery, china and bedding there....brill.  My local Tk's  a long way away, but perhaps I should visit more often after your encouragement.  If I come up with something good I'll let you know and eat humble pie!  cheers steph.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
Thanks TxSilver, sadly my one doesnt have a sticker on it so i cant tell.

:huh: I must have not written well. I meant that is what your bowl is. It just lost its sticker.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline haggishunter

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »
I understand. No problems. Thanks for the help.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »
 :-*
Steph, there are lots of bad days there - you just have to keep your eyes peeled, look out for stuff which you may see later with massive price hikes on it and if you see something that "speaks" to you, grab it - if you want to live with it!

I have some massive bits - which I use as wastepaper baskets - they help to continue setting the glassy theme throughout the house......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »
Dirk, is  this the one  you found? It seems to be eBay Netherlands, but if you click the pictures, you get a site warning. It could be a false alarm, but just in case, don't click the pictures. Scroll down to see the label instead.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Yes, Cathy, that´s the one I initially linked to.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand