No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Daffodil mystery  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Caithness Daffodil mystery
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Recently a Daffodil pedestal weight was sold by Paperweights24 on ebay (first image below) - and YES - we DO have Nadine's permission to use her images for Scotlandsglass.

The Daffodil is very close to that of the "Collectable Egg" Daffodil (U99077 - second image below) - but the engraved pedestal weight doesn't show up in any catalogue, neither could Caithness give me more detail.

Nadine tells me she also has a similar Violet pedestal weight - so possibly the entire collectable egg series flowers were also issued in this alternative design.

Any additional info on these weights would be appreciated.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Caithness Daffodil mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
The two 'egg' weights we have came,boxed,with these rather cheap plastic stands which are not very stable,those look better,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
Hi wolf,

I remembered vaguely having seen some of these pedestal weights before. After a search among my literature, I found a reference for two of these pedestal weights in one of the last Sweetbriar Gallery's newsletter (n. 110).

There was a daffodil one (I suspect the same one that Nadine sold recently) and an orchid one. For these, Ray specified in the newsletter that, (I quote): 'the weights have torchwork flowers around a large central hollow and beautiful etching of daffodils and orchids around the outer surface. These two weights are not in the Caithness book and certainly have some age to them. I can find no edition or information about them and have not seen these designs before so I am guessing that they are quite rare, maybe 1/1?'     

I, myself, have never seen any of the flowers in the collectable eggs collection but from the picture in the Charlton catalogue, they do not seem to be etched at all. That would be a major difference between the eggs and the pedestals.

Anyway, it seems to lend truth to the theory that (all/some) of the flowers in the collectable eggs collection were also produced as etched pedestal weights as 1/1 or in a very limited edition.

I hope this helps.

SophieB

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
Thank you for this info, Sophie!
Yes - it is most likely that this weight was amongst the ones Nadine took over from Sweetbriar, and she mentions another one with a violet flower. As I don't have the newsletter you mention - would it be possible to forward it to me (mail button in the left column)?
You are also correect about the flowers in the collectable egg series - none of them is engraved.
Now - I am not sure what certainly have some age to them actually means - but with a design similar to weights issued in 1999 I would assume these pedestal weights will have been made around the same time.

Thank you again - Wolf

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »
Hi Wolf,

I cannot email the newsletter as it is a paper copy.

Sorry.

Sophie

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
... and now also Caithness Orchid mystery
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:37 AM »
My thanks go to SophieB for supplying me with images of the Orchid weight (mentioned above). I have summarized all images on
http://www.seelentags.de/pw/egg/
and would appreciate any further information on these weights.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
By chance - whilst looking for something else - I came across an image of the entire set in the Reflections Magazine:
http://www.seelentags.de/pw/egg/ (scroll down).
The set was part of the 1998 "Studio Collection": no idea what "unlimited" means in this context.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand