No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin air trap paperweight.  (Read 3122 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Satin air trap paperweight.
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Never seen an air trap pwt before,4 inches high,hollow and broken pontil,any particular factory known for producing these or to general to say?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Satin air trap paperweight.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
This style has been produced in Murano and purportedly in the US (Mt. Washington).

I have seen a similar paperweight with a Murano label.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
I believe these were produced by Fenton Glass (among others).  The base does not look typical Murano (at least in the photo).  Do you recall what the base was like on the one you saw, Alexander?  There was a round Satin weight in a shop around my area; I will try to stop by and take a look (if it is still there).

Lily :)  

jazimmons

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
Hi Keith, I sure love this item.  Satin glass has fascinated me and I have several early items.  The fact that is HOLLOW, may perhpas indicate it''s final intention as being a lampshade???  Hot glass will "suck-in" once no air is allowed to penetrate and the concave base of your piece may give rise to my views???  Is it heav by proportion to it's size?  The satin glass that I have is exceptionally heavy, even the small vases, due to the amount of cased crystal as used to produced it. I do not think it is a paperweight, but as to the origin?  I cannot say!  Jazz :spls:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
Thanks,Lily,Alexander,did wonder about the USA but not Murano,
Jazz;it's only 4 inches high so a bit small for a lampshade,it's not what I call heavy and I wouldn't say my other pieces are particularly heavy,we must be getting our air trap from different sources :thup:( there is one small 'jug' and always wondered if it was American)
                                                      Keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Alexander's not the only one with the idea of a Murano heritage.  While not solving this mystery, it does point one in that direction.  Perhaps including this in the Murano section might be helpful.

http://www.tias.com/7534/PictPage/3923450452.html

Lily  :huh:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »
Thanks again Lily,been collecting glass for 17 years and until today never seen a satin air trap pwt,will have to do some research on Murano pwt's,ta,Keith.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
I have seen blue and pink ones with Murano labels....but, this is not a design exclusive to Murano, or paperweights.
The ones I have seen labelled were hollow and had ground off pontils, leaving a small concave mark where the pontil was broken off
and the rough edges ground away.

The ones I have seen have not had the "egg" shape like this, more the usual paperweight shape or almost round.

Sibylle Jargstorf, in her book "Paperweights" also shows a pink example similar to this one and attributes it to Murano ca 1950'ies.

I have one in my collection that is blue, almost round, hollow and with the remnants of a metallic label.
The remnants of the label are similar to those left by washed out Murano labels, and at probably not much older than the 1940'ies.

The satin air trap design has been seen in US products, some paperweights with the design attributed to Mt. Washington,
altho I belive this has not been conclusively confirmed.  

There are other glass objects with this design that are, as far as I know, Mt. Washington,
so it is quite possible that they also made paperweights like this.

I have also seem items like this attributed to UK and "Bohemian" manufacturers.

The design is often referred to as "MOP" or "Mother Of Pearl".
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15:13 AM »
Well, I took a trip by the shop with the Satin weight.  It is very similar to the photo shown on tias (although pink) and as you describe, Alexander.  The base is slightly concave and the pontil broken but not particularly smoothed off.  The pontil is rough but the base is concave enough for the weight to sit well.  The MOP looks so lovely under the light.  The price tag is $100 ... a bit much I would think.  No one at the shop knew anything about it.  Ah well, it was fun to check it out again.

Lily :) 

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:14 AM »
Lily,Alexander;
            Thanks again plenty for me to look up,$100 not bad then,paid a LOT less than that ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand