No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin air trap paperweight.  (Read 3128 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Satin air trap paperweight.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Hi Keith,

Nice item!! :mrgreen:

Do you find it in the Birmingham Bull Ring Rag market?

I have been wanting to ask you whether it was good for finding glass. It is difficult for me to go because of the day job, unfortunately... But if I knew that it holds undiscovered treasures, I would try and make a special effort (don't worry I won't compete too much, I concentrate exclusively on paperweights).

Any tips for finding (cheap) paperweights around the Brum area are welcome!!!

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »
Hello Sophie,
           I've picked up some really good pieces at the fair in the monthly show,including a very nice Strathearn pwt,an iridescent Mtarfa weight and a Royal Brierley pwt to mention just a few,well worth a visit,here's a few recent finds,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

jazimmons

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
 :mrgreen: KEITH, that sure is a lovely piece iridescent green, albeit with its rusted metal attachment! It is my own understanding that these metal additions were manufactured out of house, which probably accounts as to why so many items of this continental type have unpolished/unfinished top rims to them?   :spls:  I have always been of the opinion myself, that the glass can and should stand alone, without these metal mounts.  For they are seldom as good as the glass, being somewhat cheaply produced additionals, but hey, this glass was being shipped HERE when the market wanted flower-posy vases etc., and so who can blame the importers who had the mind to add metal!  Have you considered restoring the metal attatchment?  It would not detract from the glass I am sure?  Once sanded smooth, perhaps gold leaf (which is not expensive and easilly applied) would result the entire into a super piece?  ::)   Jazz 

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »
Thanks Jazz,the pic' doesn't really show it's true colour which is brighter,it's a Kralik ribbed bowl,might do something with the wire mesh,as you say it would look a lot better,got a few of these 'flower bowls now,here's a couple more,

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
Keith, please do not mix non-weights and weights in the Paperweights forum. It causes confusion.

If you would like to create new posts in the Glass forum for the two vases, they can be dicusssed there. I (or another Mod can then tidy up this thread by removing the non-paperweights info.

Thanks.
KevinH

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
 :-[sorry I forgot this was the pwt section,old age.senility etc....is my excuse :pb:

jazimmons

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »
KEITH, got your photos as just fine . . .  I have also my own numerous items of this type, most if not all, with identical metal top mounts!  Can we assume that these mounts wer ALL made by the the same metal manufacturer?  I am prety sure that glass importers would have used the same?  Some of which obviously lost the plot . . .   Having tried to re-design a piece of beautiful GLASS, with their so-called mounts of which did THE GLASS, no favours!  :huh:  Jazz

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
Hi Keith,

Nice finds. I should have gone ages ago.

Many thanks for the info. I will make a point of going to the next one (to grab as many paperweight bargains as I can...).

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand