No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber Bowl (??) -- and BUG  (Read 1097 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Amber Bowl (??) -- and BUG
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:45:23 AM »
Hi...now I have a story to tell.
I was at a Silent auction type of thing today where there were 3 pieces.  Two vases, and this bowl.  I assume a set, but yet they did the two in two different lots.  Now the vases had labels on them of 'Aseda - Sweden' on them.  So I assume that this (might) be too, but this had no label on it.  Now I was silently bidding on both the vases, and this bowl via putting bids on paper, but the last hour the bids were not up-dated.  So you would take a chance to let your bid stand, or increase it -- just in case someone else had bid....

Anyways, I was doing both.  Then this idiot was asking me questions in the last 10 minutes before closing of the final bids.  I WAS sure I had put my bid in for both.  When the bidding closed -- here I only ended up with the bowl, and not the vases too even though my price was higher than the winner (by $4.00).  Here, I guess when this idiot (sorry -- but that is now how I feel) was yapping to me at the very end, and bothering me -- I must have dropped my paper bid on the ground, as I found it after right where I was standing with my writing on it.

That will teach me.....I should have had the vases too.  Upset, I mentioned to the auctioneer guy, IF the guy that got the vases wants to sell them (so I can keep this a set) to contact me......that is ASSUMING that this was a set, but yet was broken up to two vase, and this bowl.

So my question to you is -- Is this also Aseda Glass since this piece did not have a label, but the vases did....
  If so, what year made, and anything else.......and if possible -- should I try to get those vases from the other bidder that got the 2 labeled vases (I think they were like this) from what I remember of the 2 vases looked like this:  HERE  I could find pics of the vases that were at the auction (here on the net) but have NOT found a bowl like this....

So I just want to know IF this bowl is (might) be also Aseda?  This bowl measures about 10 inches long, and 6.50 inches wide.  About 2.25 inches tall.

....And I am still going to try to get the vases -- Come Hell or High water !!!!

Thanks

P.S - After I got mine one winning item here, I noticed that it appears to have a *BUG* or something in the bottom.  I never saw that with the vases, and now wondering if they might not have been (all 3 pieces, so that why sold in 2 lots) all Aseda??

Also -- is that a BUG?  Does that affect the piece?  Good or bad for this to be in it??

Thxs
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Amber Bowl (??) -- and BUG
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
Hey Rose, you do have some adventures with your glass buying, don't you? :kissy:

OK, the vase you linked to is Aseda - and I'm astonished at the price shown there! ::) so if the ones you saw were the same then yes, they'd be Aseda too. There are some slight variations on the design as well - round and square bases, and scalloped and round tops.

Now the bowl, whatever the mark is, it's won't be a bug as the heat of the glass during the making would have cooked a bug to oblivion! It could be a bit of carbon (I think) in the glass or it could even be a damage in the glass - the piccie is a little too fuzzy to be sure, but someone else may be able to tell you more.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
Hi Anne -
Yes I know for sure the vases were Aseda because they had labels on both of them, original labels that is.  This bowl was right with them (and same color as the vases, same flow) looking with my *bad eye* (LOL).  But like I said, they were selling them in two different LOT Numbers.  I assume because they (may) have came all in together -- they were selling them separately BECAUSE glass vase (both) had the original labels on them (so that is a for Sure)....and this glass bowl might have came in with this whole bunch of stuff --- BUT because it looks the very same, but did not have a label -- that is the only reason that I think they had all the pieces sitting together, but sold them as 2 lots.

I guess the auction place figured too -- they could not prove, or state, or assume that the bowl was Adesa when there was no label, even if all the items were delivered to them all in one box.

yes, I am surprised at the link price too for one vase -- and the offer that I ended up dropping due to that guy bugging me -- I bid was $21.83 (a silent bid) for both glass vase.  So by me dropping mine, the guy that got both vases got them for $16.  I would have had them.

I verify believe they are/were a set and that is why I wanted both lots.  As stated, I have told the Auction House to ask the other buyer IF wants to sell them so that all the pieces can be kept together

That is why I am grumbling today.....I had the pieces of paper in my hand, did not want to bid against myself (as my other bid had been $14 for both....so I went to go put in $21.83 for each lot.......but was not paying attention when that guy was talking to me, and never noticed I had dropped the one piece of paper.

So the winner of the vases got them both for $16 -- I could had both for $21.83

That is what I paid for the bowl here -- $21.83.  I made it an odd ending number just-in-case someone else bid something like $21.50....I would still have a few CENTS over them.

Right now I feel I have NO SENSE -- LOL

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »
Oh dear, Rose...  I'm so sorry you're feeling so disturbed about not winning those vases.  :kissy:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
Aww I wouldn't worry too much Rose, there'll be more vases - MANY more vases!  Once you get your 'eye in' you'll be snapping them up left, right and centre.   :thup: ;) :)

I am not a man

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:16:42 AM »
Hi -- Just a question, is this bowl here Aseda ?  I was flipping through a Miller's Antique book and found a pic of a bowl called *Magnor* which I managed to find the same pic (as in the Book) * HERE * on the net.

Slightly different with the edges, but the colors (??) fluid similar (??)

So (might) this bowl be Aseda, or Magnor ?  Or are these similar companies?  Thxs

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
Bugs in amber, hmmm where have I seen that before.....  Oh yeah, Keep a watch out for the dinosaurs ;D

Nice Bowl rose.  Love the color.   Good luck getting the vases.  After auction trading is always a mind game....especially difficult if they've looked it up and seen high online asking prices.     
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:13:37 PM »
Thanks cubby01 --

Maybe it is not a bug -- maybe a piece of Ash from being made ??? I am not sure what it is...LOL

I was flipping through a Miller's Antique book and found a pic of a bowl called *Magnor* which I managed to find the same pic (as in the Book) * HERE * on the net.

So might this be Aseda, or Magnor?  Wondering if anyone knows, or can tell -- or anything (lol).....Thanks

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Hey Rose   :hi:

Anne got it right when she said above
Now the bowl, whatever the mark is, it's won't be a bug as the heat of the glass during the making would have cooked a bug to oblivion! It could be a bit of carbon (I think) in the glass or it could even be a damage in the glass

Any bugs in the mix would be vaporised/fried on contact with hot glass!   :thup:

I am not a man

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
Thanks Max -- maybe it is some Ash.............or someone lunch.     LOL :24:

But still do not know is this is Aseda or Magnor?  Any ideas on that?  Thxs  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand