No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: American Vaseline Opalescent Glass Cruet ID = Fenton "Cactus"  (Read 2897 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Please help ID this vaseline glass opalescent cruet .

I would say 100% made in the USA possibly Northwood. Being from the UK a lot of American glass of this type seems to be quite new and reproductions of old patterns.

The cruet is quite heavy 558 gms , height 6.25" or 16cm , the base very opalescent and has a rough point in the middle and just makes me think this may have some age

Thanks for any help Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: American Vaseline Opalescent Glass Cruet
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »
Roy

The pattern is called Cactus by collectors and it originated at the Indiana Goblet & Tumbler Co. of Greentown, Ind. around 1900 -1903 or so.  They made it in at least clear and chocolate (opaque) and I think emerald green. 

Years later this pattern was reintroduced by Fenton Art Glass in several colours including this vaseline opalescent.  It is very collectible in this colour.

By the way, the mark on the bottom is not a pontil mark.  This cruet was pressed upside down and then the bottom closed by a method called "cut-shut"

I am sure that Jim Measell will also comment as he has written several books on both of the glass companies involved with this pattern.

Sid

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
Thank you very much Sid for the ID, I did try looking for Fenton first but with out any results .

I thought it had to be either Northwood or Fenton.

Now I know its cactus pattern I have found a couple of very good pages on the pattern which said the topaz vaseline was only made during 1959/60

Thanks again Roy

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:26:45 AM »
Roy:
Any CACTUS OPALESCENT was made by Fenton, from their own molds.  There are 6 total pieces (unless some new discoveries have cropped up) that are Cactus vaseline by Indiana/Greentown.  of those 6, four of them are in the berry bowl shape.  None were opalescent. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »
Other posters facts are accurate, but I might add that Fenton has also made some of its Cactus items in other colors such as Dusty Rose and emerald green.

I do not know of any Greentown Cactus (originally called No. 375) in emerald green, but there is a creamer in opaque Nile Green pictured in the Greentown glass book published by the National Greentown Glass Association in 2005. Go to www.greentownglass.org to learn more about the book.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand