No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a genuine Baccarat weight from the 19th Century  (Read 1258 times)

Offline beenax

• Members
Is this a genuine Baccarat weight from the 19th Century
« on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »
Hi

I have been offered this paperweight for sale.  I am no expert although I've always wanted those vintage Baccarat or Clichy weights from the 19th century!
I understand this is a 'scrambled' design.  The Seller has assured me it is 100% Baccarat, it even has a '1847' cane, although the 'B' is missing - you can just see this in the picture.

Now this is where it becomes cloudy, he has assured me it is a Baccarat from the 1920-30s and the 1847 cane is ambigious.  Now though he has had a change of mind, and reckons it is a genuine 1847 paperweight !

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

I would be much obliged!
Kind regards, B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is this a genuine Baccarat weight from the 19th Century
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »

Hi.  It is Baccarat, but it is 1920s/1930s rather than 19th Century.  It is indeed what collectors call a 'Baccarat Dupont' piece - made by a worker called Dupont, with Baccarat's blessing. These Dupont pieces carry various dates.  The date being on a 'plaque' rather than separate round canes fused together is a clear sign, as is the style of the scrambled canes.  It is of less value than a 19th C piece - I have seen them sell for as little as £50.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline beenax

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for clearing this up!  I think i'll pass on this sale as i'm after a genuine 1840's Baccarat dated piece.

Many thanks again! :thup:
B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:18:27 AM »
Hi B

Send me an email (link is at the side of this message) and I'll send you some details of genuine dated weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand