No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina fish / axe vase, help with signiture  (Read 5664 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Mdina fish / axe vase, help with signiture
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
Hi eveyone,
I have finally got my hands on this Fish vase and was wondering if anyone could help tie down the signiture on the vase.
Thanks in advance,
David. 

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Mdina fish / axe vase, help with signiture
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
As you probably realise this is not Michael Harris's signature.

These are neither Michael's signature nor someone signing on his behalf, and are signatures of either Joseph Said or Eric Dobson, or other employees signing on their behalf."

Taken from Mark Hill's book "Michael Harris Mdina Glass & Ilse of Wight Stiudio Glass" page 133.

I've always thought Joseph Said the more likely for this style of signature, but for no reason I can point toward ::)

Nigel

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
The 'handwriting' is that of whoever did a large proportion of the signing at Mdina in the mid and late seventies. Who the squiggle is meant to represent I do not know. Presumably either Dobson or Said with this date.

John

Mmm, I like the extended wings and deep colour.

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies on this vase, I'm really chuffed that I've managed to get my hands on it :hiclp:
John, was it only Dobson or Said that would have made these types of vase at this time? and just to clarify ( because i'm a bit dim that way :huh: ) was somone else other than Dobson and Said signing and marking glass on their behalf.
Cheers, David :thup:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »
As far as I know Dobson did not make any glass, he was not a glassblower, his expertise was in the business side of things (does make you wonder why any signature would have been his name). In 1976 it could have been made by Joseph Said and if he was still on Malta Vincente Boffo. I do not know if any of the other glassblowers at Mdina had the necessary expertise to make them.

It is normal practice in glassworks for someone to have the job of signing the glass, it need not be the glassblower or designer, why use their valuable time on the mundane task of signing work?

If all glass was signed I am sure life would be simpler (for glass nerds like me) but then half this forums reason for being wouldn't exist....

John

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
Cheers John :thup:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:14:58 PM »
Eric Dobson did design as well as run the business side (and sign) however, this looks like Joseph Said's signature.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I've just been re-looking at my Tortoiseshell Fish vases, and have noticed that the ones with these big triangular wings often have double wing casings and double crossover straps.

I can't quite make out from your pics if your Fish does or not, David. Any chance you might be able to tell me? :)

Since this thread was written, it has come to light that there was at least one other well-known and experienced maker working at Mdina during this period, Jim Munnelly. And we now know that Vicente Boffo stayed at Mdina until '77. (thanks to Wolfie.)

see next post for a correction!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Sue ,  I think Vicente Boffo left Mdina in 1974 to start at MDG which ran 'till 1978 .
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
Somebody has substituted a swiss cheese for my brain and a collander for my skull...

Thanks for keeping me right. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand