No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request for id for cased blue vase - possibly Czech?  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: request for id for cased blue vase - possibly Czech?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Could it be Austrian?  (If that's totally and utterly ridiculous, then it wasn't me asking  :pb:)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
Anik:

Any particular reason for Austrian as I don't know much (i.e. zilch) about Austrian glass?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
Hi David,

No, no particular reason, really.  I saw a vase some time ago which was slightly reminiscent to Paul's... i.e. the flat triangular base and casing, but not the petals.  For the life of me I don't remember where I saw it, or who the maker was, but it was (if my memory serves correctly) Austrian. 

But then again, I don't know much about makers, so maybe I should really keep my (un)constructive guessing to myself.  Sorry.  :-X

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
thanks Anik  -  you certainly can't know less than I do about a piece like this - although I think some times that there should be a law that requires makers to back stamp their wares - just to help poor souls like us :).       I have immense respect for David and experts like Anita and Jindrich, and can only surmise that if they are having difficulty in agreeing on a country of origin, then attribution for this piece must indeed be difficult.  I do like the monolithic image of this piece - a bit '2001 Kubrick' almost.   This sort of 'Bristol blue' colour is popular with most of us, and it looks great at the moment on the window sill in the morning sunlight.     I could be wrong, but I don't recall much discussion about Austrian glass on the board.   My thanks to everyone for their input.   

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »
Anik:

How Canadian! Come up with a possible suggestion and apologize. If we all had to be certain before making suggestions, then this would be a very seldom used board. The trick is to give an idea about your level of certainty, and you clearly do that.  I think the Austrian idea is possible. Did you look at the link I suggested to the Harrochov piece? That might be what you saw, as there are a lot of them around, even in Canada where they are generally attributed incorrectly.

David

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »
I know other people have been wanting to ask: does it glow green under black light? It has the uranium look to me in the picture. That would narrow it down to about 20 countries.  ;D

I am definitely not an expert. I know Murano animals as long as they have labels. I don't think that qualifies me for much. I am almost illiterate when it comes to layered vessels. My guesses for this would be JI Co, China, or Poland.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »
Anita - I'm surprised you should ask if it glows ;D - it is just a cobalt blue (or nearly) with an over-casing of clear - however, being a rational person I did flick the torch on but, as I suspected, nothing.  Believe your reason for asking is the slightly greenish tinge of the clear glass, which regrettably was simply the effect of the room lighting when I was taking the pictures.   But 'China'.........no never, the base is too old looking for that. :)
'How Canadian! Come up with a possible suggestion and apologize' - a little harsh David??   Rather a sweeping statement, unless of course you are on intimate terms with hordes of self-effacing Canadians :).    Anik and myself are rather beginners at this game, and I agree we tend to be a little over-cautious perhaps at times, in preparation for being told we shouldn't make assumptions - provenance in glass is such a minefield - but you are quite right...   'If we all had to be certain before making suggestions, then this would be a very seldom used board'   -  so I'm going to be positive and remain with 'Murano'.
Anik  -  we must adopt a new philosophy whereby we never apologize ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »
David probably is, given that he lives in Canada too! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »
Paul:

As Anne suggests, I am, indeed, on intimate terms with hordes of self-effacing Canadian, living in Surrey, BC. However, I should know better where to draw the line as print isn't always the best place to try and be funny. Let me assure you, my intention was not to criticize Anik, but to encourage her. If I've done the opposite, I sincerely apologize. We all make errors at times, especially about glass. My suggestion that it was Czech was tentative and based on a couple of similarities. I was wrong, but I think the suggestion moved the discussion on. We now know it's not Czech,and JI is the only real Murano possibility. But I think attribution is still an open question.

I suppose what I was trying to say was, not to avoid being over-cautious, an admirable trait in identifying glass, but not to worry too much when your suggestion isn't correct, just move on. It's the odd person who refuses to accept he or she is incorrect that causes the problem.

Perhaps I should explain that one of the best definitions I've heard of  Canadian is that being Canadian means you always have to say you're sorry. The other definition going around just now is that a Canadian is an unarmed American with health insurance.

Oh no. Look what I've just done. After acknowledging the dangers of humour in print, oops, I've done it again.

Sorry!

Your totally Canadian friend,

David

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 05:12:17 AM »
Absolutely no offence was taken on my part -- so Paul and David, there is no need to discuss that matter any further  :D

Now back to the vase...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand