No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart - or a disciple?  (Read 3181 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Paul Ysart - or a disciple?
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:25 AM »

I feel that this fish paperweight has a general Paul Ysart style - but is it his, or by one of the several people he taught to make weights?  It is wearing lipstick - a common thing with Paul's fish. Any thoughts?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Paul Ysart - or a disciple?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:32:13 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting this. I was curious, too.

Like you, I would be not be surprised if it turned out to be a Paul Ysart fish. But what do I know?

I am sure that Kevin will enlighten us soon, though. ;)

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
 8)
KevinH

Offline casalibre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »
 :huh: :huh: :huh:
 :cry: :cry: :cry:
 :spls: :spls: :spls:
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ???????

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
It means ..... Its a live auction and if someone's not going to bid on it should ask when the auction is over instead of bringing it to the attention of everyone.. My words not Kev's
cheers Ray

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
Or that giving information here on a live auction would give the readers an unfair advantage, or something else entirely.
If it's über rare would someone who knew share that before the auction ended for instance? (do not take this to mean it's rare - just an example)

My experience is that KevH does not share before auctions end.

Many are loath to give information on live auctions just on principle.
I have come to prefer seeing queries on auction items after the bidding has ended.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

I understand some of the sensitivities of discussing live auctions, but how many rare or valuable weights slip through the net unspotted, and end up selling for well below true market value? My guess is very, very few - the most likely route being items offered on 'Buy it Now' at well below the market price, which are snapped up by the first person with adequate knowledge to spot them. There are hundreds - probably thousands - of knowledgeable glass collectors out there scanning eBay and other sources.

And if a weight is of uncertain or doubtful attribution, perhaps it is a service to others to question and discuss the attribution before they commit themselves to an excessively large bid? Or am I being too altruistic?

A few days ago I hoped that no one else had spotted an early Bohemian weight at a provincial English auction house - fat chance! There were several bidders in the room, several telephone lines, and it sold for £3,400! We have a global market, like it or not....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
i put my weights and glass on here so if i sell them i can tell people what they actually are , well 99% of the time.
there is always someone worse off .

Offline casalibre

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
Hi Alan.
Well done!!!
 :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:
To discuss and make open all what we know at every time: that is democratic!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
My " 8) " response was simply an indication (to those who know me) that, as Alexander has said, I prefer not to comment on live auctions ... unless the item offered is clearly not as listed. And even for the dubious ones, I try to always raise a query with the seller before I make any public comment.

However, for this item I will say, in answer to Alan's basic query, I have never seen any "lipped fish in stave baskets" with the apparent quality of this one, which has not been made by Paul Ysart himself.

It will be interesting to see how much more than the current price (£40.99 at the time of typing) this weight sells for.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand