No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: noughts and crosses vase,- ID = Crystal d'Arques, France  (Read 3656 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
noughts and crosses vase,- ID = Crystal d'Arques, France
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
While trying to identify this vase, I came across an old topic of 2005 by Ivo where a noughts and crosses vase was described as by Jan Schmid, Libochovice, 1964. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3220.0.html. Unfortunately the accompanying picture was no longer available in the thread. I tried the Sklo CD of Marcus Newhall, but no Schmid designs of 1964 for that company were in the database. To be sure I looked at those ingredients seperately, but nothing identifyable turned up.

Also, my vase is 22 cm high (and 6 cm diameter at the base, 8 cm diameter at the widest point of the top) which makes it higher than the 17.5 cm of Ivo's vase. It is a very nice quality, though, and it was described at the sale as Czech of unknown design and factory (which proves nothing, I know).

Anyway, I'm not sure this is the same vase. Ivo, could you have a look for me if it looks like yours, or if this is a different one? And if it is a different one, does anyone have more info on it?

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Not Czech, Astrid, but French, this one. It was identified fairly recently on the board as Crystal D'Arques by Margi, who has a labelled one.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline astrid

• Members
Thanks very much, Anne! It's not the first of my 'maybe czech' buys that turns out to be French. I should try to hunt down some French source books I guess. Apparently they did (or do?) make some nice modernist patterns in good quality glass and crystal...

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I was amazed at them being CA to be honest, as they look and feel very much like they should be Czech.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline astrid

• Members
Well, my first one that turned out to be French and also made me think Czech when I bought it, had very small 'France' letters molded at the base, so it was clear when I received it. I also think that to be the work of Cristal D'Arques, though it might be another company. I'll attach a picture for further 'French modernistic looking glass reference'.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
no not the work of another company - it is CA and it was one of their best selling items ever. Also available in red to look like cut-to-clear.

Offline astrid

• Members
Thanks Ivo! So now I have a mini collection of two modernist Cristal D'Arques. And I was really trying to stick to Czech mostly :). But they don't look out of place between the Czech pieces.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Also found in peach; there's one on here somewhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand