No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Globe vases from LSA, Borske Sklo or not?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: Globe vases from LSA, Borske Sklo or not?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 06:12:35 AM »
May have possibly answered my own question  - this is a water jug from last year.  No olives, so I had not really thought of Borske  -  however, on reflection it does look very similar to the Borske 'circles' design - is optically moulded (bumps on the inside) - nice round polished pontil scoop, and about 17 cms. tall.  Colour is about right also.   I was calling it 'pea moulded'.
Nemmie's quote that......"They do look similar but the Borske Sklo versions start off with round circles which then become flatter as they get lower" - may imply that the lower circles take on a slightly squashed downwards look.   Appreciate that this is not a 'globe'.......but what does anyone think.

Well the circles in that start off taller and then become more squashed but as you say that is not a globe, in the globe due to the sides being rounder the circles take on a different appearance. In the LSA piece all the circles are even there is no difference. Seems to make sense to me.

Also I have no way of knowing that your jug is Borske. Please note that although my area of interest is Czech glass I was merely offering a common sense solution which still seems to work for me although perhaps my choice of words has let me down again! :)

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
hello Nemmie  -  apologies if you thought my words came across a little critical  -  nothing could have been further from my mind. :), and you certainly couldn't know less than I do about Czech glass, and I expect you know a lot more.    I have probably mis-understood the difference between the 'the illusion of distortion of circles caused by being on a round object'  -  and genuinely distorted cirlces due to irregularities in the blowing process/weight of glass whatever.
I was hoping that Jindrich might look in perhaps.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Yeah, Jindrich is the man when it comes to areas like this and no you didn't think you were being over critical. I am naturally grumpy.

I would photograph the ones I have but I have to borrow a camera from a friend and she is getting narked lately due to me borrowing it a little too much. ;)
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »
sorry, I read that a little quickly and thought you had said 'naked'... ;D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
Ok, these are Borske balls are verrry dusty.  :-[  The main difference I can see from the LSA ones is that the Borske Sklo ones are more *optical*. Viewed obliquely from above or below, the circular motifs are like windows with a dark 'edge' around them.  Almost making them 3D and as if the glass is thicker than it actually is.

You can feel the design slightly from the inside where the circular motif is.  Whether you can feel the design on the outside is not an indicator of Borske Sklo as far as these vases go as they are all different there...some you can feel some you can't.

They'll have to be washed at some point ::sigh!::: so if you'd like better pics I can oblige at some point.  :thup:

I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »
Two more pics....

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
thanks Max, I envy you these - they are very attractive :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In my ignorance, I had thought that if you could feel an 'edge' to the perimeter of the round pattern - ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PIECE - then that indicated an Olives design.   Am I completely wrong?? :)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »
I had thought that if you could feel an 'edge' to the perimeter of the round pattern - ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PIECE - then that indicated an Olives design.   

I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean there?   :-\ :)

You can feel a 'lip' around the circle motif on two of my four vases, particularly the turquoise one but with the greyish/brown vase there's no 'lip' or 'edge' at all.

It's easy to distinguish this design from the LSA ones purely by looking at the optical effect...so I'm quite relieved about that!  :D :D

I am not a man

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:17 AM »
Not sure if I am allowed to link to Ebay but if you search for Borske on Ebay UK there is a green one listed at the moment that looks genuine to me.

You're certainly allowed to link to eBay auctions, active or finished, as long as it is for comparison only and isn't your own piece.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 07:25:28 AM »
There seems to be a slight optical effect but nowhere near as pronounced as the Borske examples. Not on the colour that is linked to but if you look at some of the others available which is similar to some that are currently listed on Ebay as being SKLO union with an almost 100% mark up from the LSA price.  :o

But I might be wrong and it's not actually for comparison so I won't post a link.
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand