No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Am I stupid, or have I missed something (Glass Question)...  (Read 746 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Hi -- Not sure if I am dumb  :spls: or what, but I have read on here of course about glass that glows, and it has the (kinda) green tinge to it -- but I never knew that (possible) some gold colored Carnival Glass might also Glow ??

In this link here (about half way down):  http://www.vaselineglass.org/FACTORY.HTML  it clearly shows under the name Millersburg Glass Co. a piece of *GOLD-ISH* colored Carnival Glass (Grape Leaves" carnival vaseline bowl, made by Millersburg Glass Co.) with a Green tinge to it under a UV light.....

So, have I missed something here -- as I do not think I have ever seen on the board, a piece of Carnival Glass (in a Gold Color) that has a glow to it.  The key word is that it is a IRIDESCENT GOLD COLOR PIECE OF GLASS

Did I miss it, or is this rare --- and Moral of the story -- Just check EVERY type of glass for any UV content ?? 

Thanks :spls2:  Sorry IF a silly question -- I just have not...
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Am I stupid, or have I missed something (Glass Question)...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
Some carnival glass is indeed also uranium glass. Any kind of glass can be made to have a carnival-glass-like finish. You make your glass article and while it is still hot you spray it with a solution of a special metal compound (stannous chloride I think for marigold). This is absorbed onto the surface of the glass to give an irridescent marigold coloration. Only the outer surface of the is coloured in this way.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
Yes, marigold Carnival glass can glow. Factories such as Millersburg, Fenton, Northwood, Sowerby and Imperial all made iridised vaseline glass. It can be covered with a marigold iridescence (usually that would have been iron oxide) or a pastel iridescence. If the marigold iridescence was heavy, then it can be hard to spot the vaseline glass underneath! That's why Carnival collectors will usually say you need to pick up the piece and look at the base glass!

I wrote this article for wwwcga several years ago and it is still relevant.

http://www.carnivalglass.org/newbies/10.asp

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
Thanks for those replies.  I just never knew, or else it just never stayed in my brain.... :spls: as I thought most that glowed had a green tinge to it, or a slight green tinge to it.....so seeing a Gold colored piece of glass also glow -- why, I must have missed this info, and just thought other *newbies* (as I still am) might not know this either..

So I am just going to check EVERY piece of glass when I get a UV light.... ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
The glass does have a green or yellowish colour (and indeed it must be coloured if it contains uranium. Colourless glass does not contain uranium). It's just hidden under the marigold finish; if you chip a piece of uranium carnival, the chip will show greenish. If you look through the base, uranium carnival will look greenish.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
and indeed it must be coloured if it contains uranium. Colourless glass does not contain uranium  -  which of course I understand.      However, when I shine the U.V. torch (with fully charged batteries usually), onto my clear glass Celery Vases do I get a feint greenish reaction (from all except one I think)  -  is there a tad's worth of U. in the clear glass?    These are late C19 and early C20 pieces, and I discovered this by chance one day when scanning the torch across a variety of glass.     Sorry, but I think you have explained this before, and I have now forgotten what he answer is. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
It's the manganese decolorising agent in colourless glass (the stuff that causes old glass to go grey then purple in sunlight), which has generally been replaced by cheaper decolorisers. Absolutely no uranium. The green is a totally different shade. Uranium always gives the same bright green colour, just sometimes it appears more dilute.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »
cor, you an 'arf clever............thanks Christine. :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »
I just (guess) I never thought of this.....are there Uranium Paperweights too?  Does anyone have one?

Thxs

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »
A few, but I don't have one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand