Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > USA

pattern id request for carnival item ID = Fenton C9388 Candy Box, "Baroque"

(1/1)

Paul S.:
out of my league with this, and from memory the guy said the pattern is 'Hearts and something', but I have forgotten what. :-[   The Blue is unusual, and unfortunately I cant quite read the name which is in a longish oval cartouche on the underside of the base, and the inside of the lid.    Would it be described as a lidded compote?   Height with the lid is about 180mm/shade over 7 inches.   I have looked through David Dotty's site, but obviously I'm not doing something right, so grateful for someone's help, and thanks for looking, and would appreciate a manufacturing date if possible.    cheers        Paul S.

Glen:
The lettering in the oval cartouche will be Fenton. It's a piece of contemporary Fenton Carnival - it is shown in "Fenton the 1980s Decade" edited by James Measell, so he will surely be able to provide you with more info. I don't know a familiar name for the pattern but it is shown as C9388 Candy Box with cover in ruby Carnival in the aforementioned book, made for QVC - the date of that specific production was 1991.

Edited to add, I understand the pattern may sometimes be called "Baroque".

Glen

Paul S.:
thanks very much Glen  -   I was hoping that it was much older, and expect that I paid more than I should have done. In my travels around the boot sales etc. I have rarely, if ever, seen this blue  -  although that may be due simply to its recent manufacturing date.   For the uninitiated, dating some of these pieces can be a problem.    Obviously a very poorly 'pressed' Fenton, as it is impossible to interpret that from the embossing.    thanks again.     Paul S.

Glen:
I don't know the exact date of your piece, Paul (it may be slightly earlier than 1991 - that date was for the ruby one that was pictured in the book I mentioned) but for certain it is contemporary Fenton as they used the trademark from circa the 1970s onward and not before. It's a lovely piece of glass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version