No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Winged Bowl (large)....Chalet??  (Read 870 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Blue Winged Bowl (large)....Chalet??
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:02 AM »
Hi there:  I bought this (even though there is some damage, but for $2 a person can't go wrong).  I still wanted it just so that it could be identified, and possible (still) used a further reference here -- IF identified.

I am thinking possibly (Canadian) Chalet?

Big Swooping wings, pulled sides, twisted base -- and the bottom definitely has (old age) wear. It is about 7.5 inches tall, 11 inches wide....and a whopping 20 inches long.

Thxs as always....
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Blue Winged Bowl (large)....Chalet??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:45:59 AM »
** Base Shot -- For Wear  -- Possibility of ?? Chalet, no mark on base though....**

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
Rose:

I think it's Canadian and at $2.00 you can't go wrong. I'm less sure it's Chalet, as I still want my Chalet to marked in order to be convinced. I'd think it's more likely to be Giovanni or Lorraine, who seemed to rely on labels. I've only seen a couple of definite Giovanni pieces, but they were similar to this piece.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
Thanks langhaugh...

Yeah, I think it is Canadian too.  Like I said, it has some damage to each side (the longer wings) -- but like I said for $2 I will still buy it to post here on the board as a Reference for others.

I rooted around with the name *Giovanni* and did he work with Chalet? 

I know some Chalet is marked, and others are not -- but I do agree with you that Chalet seems a bit more *fluid* in design -- where this has more stockier extensions.

The design of the Wings reminds me of Moose Antlers (the wings)  Click Here

Only a *Canadian* would say (see) that resemblance....  :24: :pb: Even though I have only ever saw one in a Zoo... ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
Rose:
 Giovanni was a company located in Montreal, I think. I presume it was also started by Italians. I've never read much about them. I only know about them because I came across a piece in am antique store with the the label on it. I found they were separate from Chalet, but I think glass workers went between Chalet, Lorraine and Giovanni. I'd remember reading that Chantilli, the other company, had most of their work done by Chalet.

I was down in Michel Blais' store a couple of weeks ago, and would says he's got  a few Giovanni. He also has quite a lot of Czech labeled as either Chalet or Murano. I wish somebody would do a book on 1960's Canadian glass to clear all this up.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
I was down in Michel Blais' store a couple of weeks ago, and would says he's got  a few Giovanni. He also has quite a lot of Czech labeled as either Chalet or Murano. I wish somebody would do a book on 1960's Canadian glass to clear all this up.

David

Thanks david -- I think I *vote* for you to start a book on this Topic -- as IT is needed.  

I too have just recently heard of Chantilli   (and Giovanni) too.  First time, in all my life have I heard of this names.....someone needs to *preserve* the Canadian Glass History here too.  Any other takers/members/authors for this job?

This is a book that needs to be done --  is So True !!!!

Wonder WHY Unitts do not do one just on Canadian glass? Click Here - See 2114 Entry there

See Unitts List here of books ---> http://www.getcited.org/mbrx/PT/99/MBR/10159813

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand