No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: opinion required on amber uranium please.  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
opinion required on amber uranium please.
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
these then are the two Venetian style sweetmeat/dessert dishes from yesterday morning.  There was some discussion in recent weeks re Webb's Gay Glass (Sunshine Amber) - with Loustrousstone providing some expert help - see here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33282.msg180785.html#msg180785.   I had a feeling that with their age and looks these were quite probably going to glow, despite the fact that unlike much of the Webb's material they do not have a 'greenish/amber' appearance.  Despite the damage (the one piece break can be glued back) I simply couldn't leave them behind at a quid.  Their colour is a light but good amber (no hint of green) - and at first I thought possibly John Walsh Walsh -who did go through a 'Venetian' period, apparently  -  rather than Webb - but I'm really not sure now.  Is this Venetian style something Webb produced?  They ring beautifully, but there is no real quality present - the odd bubble in the glass, and the cutting seems low grade.   The foot is moulded and, oddly, shows very little wear. Anyone have any thoughts as to whose they may be, and my thanks for looking.           The quid also got me what I think is a quite early 'Krys-tol' plate.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: opinion required on amber uranium please.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »
just to show that books should be looked at properly..........I had missed the fact that an identical 'dessert bowl/sweet dish' appears in Barry Skelcher's "The Big Book of Vaseline Glass" (2002) - page 109 - picture at top right.   Skelcher was unable to feel confident about any particular attribution, apparently - but comments..."Could be Royal Brierley  1930 - 1950".  So thus far it will remain for the moment. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand