No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian? table lamp complete with French labels and electrics for Id, please  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer

Click on above image
for more views and enlargements.

Click on above image to enlarge.

Height overall 21.3cm 8½", width at the front of the base 10cm 4", weight 918g 2lb 0½oz.   Base ground flat and polished, remnants of pontil scar ground out and polished.   Bayonet light fitting.

I bought this recently at a French bric-a-brac market, mainly because it was complete and thus saleable, but also because it made me laugh.   I just wondered whether the labels were in Italian Franglais. i.e. translated word by word from the English (reversing the order) by an Italian using an English-French dictionary.   Of course it might well be perfectly legitimate French.

Is it Murano, Empoli, or from elsewhere?   And what dates?

Bernard C.  8)

ps — Is that how you like label images?   If so I will link it in to an appropriate gallery.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Val Saint Lambert would carry French labels also? And the quality and shape seems right for them  :ooh:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I have no problem with the labels which are in proper French. I think the lamp foot could have been made by Portieux-Valérysthal in the 1960s / 70s - with VSL as a contender.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Pamela & Ivo — Sincere apologies for my delay in replying.   I'd actually lost this topic as it disappeared off page 1 so quickly.   It was only today, when checking my recent purchases shelves, that I found the lamp and realised my error.

Grateful thanks to both of you for the two possible attributions, the dating, and the catalogue link.

Can anyone further refine this information?

... pity it's not Italian Franglais.   That would have been fun!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Pamela

Offline bOBA

• Members
I bought this lamp a while ago and wondered if it may be VSL or Italian too. It has been suggested it may be Italian... Quite a similar size to the VSL lamp bought by Bernard. My guess was about 1960? Attribution of these must be made more difficult by their common design by several factories? Wherever they are from, they have a lovely quality about them. The chrome fittings on this one are also of fantastic quality. I am supposing even the fittings may not necessarily indicate nationality, for example if an Italian lamp was sold in a British department store, could the fittings be adapted-supplied locally if the electrical requirements were different? (This lamp is a strange pale smoky blue that I am not even sure is sommerso type effect really).

Any thoughts welcome!

Robert (bOBA)  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand