No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amberina glass bowls origins?  (Read 791 times)

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Amberina glass bowls origins?
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:43:50 AM »
This color is called Amberina right?  Anyone know these; Where they were made, when, company, etc?  The are 10" in diameter and about 3" tall.  Thanks in advance.
More pictures including base at > http://img715.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=amberlinaone04.jpg and http://img816.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=amberlinatwo04.jpg

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Amberina glass bowls origins?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
hello cubby  -  regret I can't tell you who might have made these, and am certainly no expert on 'Amberina'.....but  -  are you sure this is 'Amberina'?   Some possible reasons for doubting the attribution might be......
1..........whilst the type can vary from clear yellow/amber to a deep dark red, generally where the heat has been struck the most the red is usually darker than yours -  and less of an orangey colour.
2..........although I'm sure not impossible to create, I'm intrigued by those 'clear' tips  -  if the gold were dispersed throughout the metal and you heated anywhere near those extremities, you would, at least, end up with yellowy-amber tips, not clear ones.
However, you may well have provenance that proves me wrong :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:52 PM »
Can you provide pics of the undersides?

I am assuming the top one has been cased in clear glass?

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »
Thanks Paul, You have hit upon one of the reasons for the question.  I'm not real familiar with "Amberina" and many of the samples I saw online were not in some opinions not 'real' amberina  - Some US pressed glass for example. 

These don't appear to be pressed, or mold-blown (ie with mold seams) although there was obviously some mold used for shaping.  The six notches around the rim of the second piece look like they are cut out with a tool but are fairly uniform leading me to think a die of some kind was used.   I can not figure out how the tips on the first piece were done.  It's almost like the a piece of clear glass was added to the tip and blended back into the body somehow.

I'm not sure what I have.  I bought them along with several pieces of mid-century Murano from an estate auction.  The previous owner was an avid collector but in a bazillion different categories.  She had an obvious focus on Murano art glass but there were small American collections (Pilgrim, Viking, Blenko, etc) in the mix as well, not much Scandinavian that I recall.
Pithy sig withheld

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
Can you provide pics of the undersides?

I am assuming the top one has been cased in clear glass?

Check the links in the first post.  I provided a pic of the underside there.  If a different/better pic is needed I can retake.

I do not believe either one is cased in clear. 

Thanks.
Pithy sig withheld

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »
can only say again that to my amateurish eyes the colour and the clear tips look wrong for Amberina - and in view of your description of the previous owners peferences, I would be inclined to say these are 1960 - 1980 generic touristy type of Murano.   However, think we now need an expert on Amberina :sun:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
American pressed glass with this sort of coloration IS likely to be amberina. Amberina is glass containing selenium dioxide (I think that) is amber as made. It is then partially reheated (usually at the top), which turns the amber red where is is hottest shading back to amber where cooler/cold.

This is hand-made hot worked glass using red, amber and clear glass. It is likely hand blown into a mould to create the uniformity. The hot glass workers develop great accuracy so hand cutting of the notches is likely too.

Murano seems very likely.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »
Something about the shape and the way the colours blend together says Czech to me, maybe Chribska or Skrdlovice?  I've had a quick look at the catalogues on Jindrich's website though, and couldn't find a match.  The nearest I could come to it is this.

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
Although this may technically be amberina in that the coloring / shading was achieved through the heating of oxides, it is not the type of glass which in my experience is associated with the term "amberina," which is usually reserved for Victorian-era pieces.  This piece looks like Murano to me.  Could also be Czech.  Age strikes me as 1950's-1970's.  A nice little piece, good luck with the i.d.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand