No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do you recognise the make of this chubby lemonade set?  (Read 671 times)

Offline RoynMargaret

• Members
    • Decorative  Collectables
Do you recognise the make of this chubby lemonade set?
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »
Lovely handblown green uranium jug and matching glasses. Concave polished pontil to jug.
We have changed our trading style and name to Decorative Collectables. Our prime glass activities may now be seen here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Decorative-Collectables-UK?_rdc=1

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Do you recognise the make of this chubby lemonade set?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »
don't recognise this particular design  -  and having looked through both of my Barrie Skelcher books I can't see a good match there either.    However, the bowl shape on the tumblers is a good match for a bowl shape found often on pieces described as rummers/romers/reomers  -  and this, coupled with the passing nod of the faux coils on the base -  might, just possibly, indicate a continental origin.     Coming back to Skelcher, there is a water set shown - with the tumblers coming reasonably close in design to yours (tumbler height of 8.4 cms) - page 144 in the 2007 book  - which has an alleged Dutch origin - about 1924/25.    Unfortunately, the jug appears rather dissimilar, and is quoted as having a height of 13.5 cms.   With these things unless you can find an exact match, it can often be a dead end search.   Perhaps Lustrousstone is able to add more. :)
Ref. 'Vaseline Glassware - Fascinating Fluorescent Beauty'  -  2007  - Barrie Skelcher - Schiffer.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »
To be honest I never even try to ID these sorts of sets and glasses. Dutch or Austrian is probably a good bet.

Offline RoynMargaret

• Members
    • Decorative  Collectables
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions. I am happy enough with the rummer/roehmer connection, although usually thought of these as German, with the coiled stem/pedestal style often applied to dark green wine glasses. But Dutch or Austrian brackets nicely.

The jug is quite massive at approx 18cms tall x 15cms diameter at widest part of body. The tumbler is almost 11cm tall.

There is considerable age-related micro scratch patination to the base and I would certainly be pleased to subscribe to a 1925 - 35 dateline.

Certainly glows nicely under the UV light.

It appears we may be unlikely to pin down the country, date, or maker any closer. Unless anyone else would like to chip in, please just share this serendpitous car boot find with me  :thup:
We have changed our trading style and name to Decorative Collectables. Our prime glass activities may now be seen here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Decorative-Collectables-UK?_rdc=1

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »
quote yesterday from RoynMargaret.....'age-related micro scratch patination -   I like it, must remember that one, might make me sound knowedgeable as well ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand